State Ethics and Vendor and Industry Relations
State Ethics: Employees of KUMC are employees of the State of Kansas and as such are subject to State Governmental Ethics Statutes. The University, which is classified as a state agency, is also bound by these same statutes. Receipt of gifts and meals is a common example of state ethics issues you may encounter. For those of you with financial interests and/or employment or fiduciary positions in outside businesses, please be advised of certain restrictions in the negotiation of contracts with KUMC.
Vendor and Industry Relations: KUMC and the University have implemented policies in order to provide guidance on certain state ethics issues. Additional policies in this area have been created to address rules for interaction and conduct with industry and vendors.
- KUMC Acceptance of Meals and Gifts (Including Entertainment, Travel or Lodging) by Faculty and Staff
- KUMC Policy on Vendor or Industry Sponsored Training, Seminars and Educational Events
- KUMC Policy on Vendor Visits on Campus
- KUMC Policy on Industry-sponsored Speaking Engagements and Ghost Writing
- KUMC Compliance with Healthcare Fraud and Abuse Laws
- KU/KUMC Examination Copies of Textbooks, One University Policy
- KU/KUMC Student Financial Aid Code of Conduct
State of Kansas Resources
• State-Level Conflict of Interest Statutes
• Kansas Secretary of State - State Governmental Ethics - Statement of Substantial Interests (if notified by Secretary of State to complete)
• Guidelines for State Employees Concerning Meals, Gifts, Entertainment & Travel