Mihaela Sardiu, P.h.D.
I am a theoretical physicist with extensive experience in molecular modeling, bioinformatics and translational research. My research interests lie in the fields of physics and bioinformatics, which involve developing statistical and computational methods to analyze large-scale biological data and applying these methods to study biological and biomedical problems.
Education and Training
- BS, Physics, University of Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
- MS, Physics, University of Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
- PhD, Physics, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, Florida
- Other, Bioinformatics, Stowers Institute for Medical Research, Kansas City , MO
- American Statistical Association, Member, 2021 - Present
- KUCC, Member, 2021 - Present
- American Society for Mass Spectrometry (ASMS), Member, 2005 - 2007
- Biophysical Society, Member, 2005 - 2006
- American Physical Society, Member, 2000 - Present
My research interest is in the field of quantitative omics data, with a focus on the development of computational methods for processing and extracting biological information from large and complex datasets. One of my aims is to develop new methods for integrative analyses of data across different data types with a goal to identify potentially cancer-related molecular alterations and determine new disease biomarkers. Another priority of mine is to provide a holistic view of merged data and interpretation tools that harmonize biological information across heterogeneous platforms. Lastly, a new focus is on exploring perturbed networks structures and trying to address the dynamics of networks in general using statistical physics principles.
- Zybailov, Boris, Mosley, Amber., L., Sardiu, Mihaela., E., Coleman, Michael., K., Florens, Laurence, Washburn, Michael., P.. 2006. Statistical analysis of membrane proteome expression changes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. JOURNAL OF PROTEOME RESEARCH, 5 (9), 2339-2347
- Sardiu, Mihaela., E., Cheung, Margaret., S., Yu, Yi-Kuo. 2007. Cysteine-cysteine contact preference leads to target-focusing in protein folding. BIOPHYSICAL JOURNAL, 93 (3), 938-951
- Sardiu, Mihaela., E., Cai, Yong, Jin, Jingji, Swanson, Selene., K., Conaway, Ronald., C., Conaway, Joan., W., Florens, Laurence, Washburn, Michael., P.. 2008. Probabilistic assembly of human protein interaction networks from label-free quantitative proteomics. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, 105 (5), 1454-1459
- Sardiu, Mihaela., E., Florens, Laurence, Washburn, Michael., P.. 2009. Evaluation of Clustering Algorithms for Protein Complex and Protein Interaction Network Assembly. JOURNAL OF PROTEOME RESEARCH, 8 (6), 2944-2952
- Sardiu, Mihaela., E., Gilmore, Joshua., M., Carrozza, Michael., J., Li, Bing, Workman, Jerry., L., Florens, Laurence, Washburn, Michael., P.. 2009. Determining Protein Complex Connectivity Using a Probabilistic Deletion Network Derived from Quantitative Proteomics. PLOS ONE, 4 (10)
- Sardiu, Mihaela., E., Washburn, Michael., P.. 2010. Enriching quantitative proteomics with SIN. NATURE BIOTECHNOLOGY, 28 (1), 40-42
- Fournier, Marjorie., L., Paulson, Ariel, Pavelka, Norman, Mosley, Amber., L., Gaudenz, Karin, Bradford, William., D., Glynn, Earl, Li, Hua, Sardiu, Mihaela., E., Fleharty, Brian, Seidel, Christopher, Florens, Laurence, Washburn, Michael., P.. 2010. Delayed Correlation of mRNA and Protein Expression in Rapamycin-treated Cells and a Role for Ggc1 in Cellular Sensitivity to Rapamycin. MOLECULAR & CELLULAR PROTEOMICS, 9 (2), 271-284
- Lee, Kenneth., K., Sardiu, Mihaela., E., Swanson, Selene., K., Gilmore, Joshua., M., Torok, Michael, Grant, Patrick., A., Florens, Laurence, Workman, Jerry., L., Washburn, Michael., P.. 2011. Combinatorial depletion analysis to assemble the network architecture of the SAGA and ADA chromatin remodeling complexes. MOLECULAR SYSTEMS BIOLOGY, 7
- Mosley, Amber., L., Sardiu, Mihaela., E., Pattenden, Samantha., G., Workman, Jerry., L., Florens, Laurence, Washburn, Michael., P.. 2011. Highly Reproducible Label Free Quantitative Proteomic Analysis of RNA Polymerase Complexes. MOLECULAR & CELLULAR PROTEOMICS, 10 (2)
- Sardiu, Mihaela., E., Washburn, Michael., P.. 2011. Building Protein-Protein Interaction Networks with Proteomics and Informatics Tools. JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY, 286 (27), 23645-23651