Mehrdad Maz, MD
Professor, Allergy, Clinical Immunology, and Rheumatology
I have enjoyed an academic and medical career with an emphasis in clinical practice in addition to education and clinical research. My educational activities have focused on teaching and supervising learners at different stages of training including medical students, residents, and fellows. I have served in educational, administrative and leadership roles at the University of Kansas Medical Center (KUMC). As part of my training and clinical practice both at Mayo Clinic and at KUMC, I have been evaluating and treating patients with variety of rheumatologic disorders including polymyalgia rheumatica and vasculitides such as giant cell arteritis. In addition to serving as the Chief of the Division of Allergy, Clinical Immunology, and Rheumatology, I serve as the Rheumatology fellowship program Director.
Education and Training
- MD, Doctor of Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA
- Residency, Internal Medicine, West Virginia University Hospital, Morgantown, WV
- Clinical Fellowship, Rheumatology, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, , Rochester, MN
- Other, Adult Education, University of Minnesota, Rochester, MN
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- Medical License, Kansas Board of Healing Arts
- Medical License, Missouri Board of Healing Arts
My clinical research focus has been in vasculitis, in particular, giant cell arteritis followed by polymyalgia rheumatica. I have participated in scholarly activities and development of national and international classification and management guidelines for diseases such as polymyalgia rheumatica and vasculitides including giant cell arteritis.