Meagan L. Dwyer, Ph.D.
Meagan L. Dwyer, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor of Psychology in the University of Kansas Medical Center's Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and a licensed psychologist in the states of Kansas and Missouri. Dr. Dwyer serves as the Director of the Onco-Psychology Program at the NCI-Designated University of Kansas Cancer Center, along with the APA-Accredited Clinical Health Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship with emphasis in psychosocial oncology.
Dr. Dwyer obtained her Bachelor of Science in Psychology (Summa Cum Laude with Departmental Honors; 2000-2004) and Master of Science in Clinical Psychology (2004-2006) from Missouri State University. She then completed her Doctor of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology (2006-2010) at Saint Louis University. She attended the APA-Accredited internship at the Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System in New Orleans, LA (2009-2010), with a focus on behavioral medicine and empirically supported trauma treatments. Dr. Dwyer capped her training as the Psycho-Oncology Post-Doctoral Fellow at the Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center, Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis (2010-2011).
She joined the faculty at the University of Kansas Medical Center in the fall of 2011. She is a member of the American Psychological Association (APA) and the American Psychosocial Oncology Society (APOS), serving on the Professional Education Committee.
Education and Training
- PhD, Clinical Psychology, St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO
- MS, Clinical Psychology, Missouri State University, Springfield, MO
- BS, Psychology, Missouri State University, Springfield, MO
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, Psycho-Oncology, Washington University , St. Louis, MO
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- Certificate in University Teaching Skills, Reinert Center for Teaching Excellence, Saint Louis University
- Licensed Psychologist (inactive status), Missouri State Committee of Psychologists
- Licensed Psychologist, Kansas Behavioral Sciences Review Board
- American Psychosocial Oncology Society, Professional Education Committee, Member, 2018 - Present
- American Psychological Association, Member, 2010 - Present
- Psi Chi, Member, 2002 - Present
Dr. Dwyer has research and clinical experience and interests related to trauma and health psychology, particularly oncology – with emphasis in end-of-life issues, quality of life, and the interrelationships between psychological and
Dr. Dwyer has expanded research into professional practice
topics, particularly the impact of healthcare-related work on professional providers and training and program development within psycho-oncology. She has also been involved in adapting and developing distress screenings for both academic and clinical application.
Dr. Dwyer has worked in community outreach in partnership with American Cancer Society, Leukemia andamp; Lymphoma Society and Kansas City Hospice House. Currently serving as Director of the Onco-Psychology program, she provides services to cancer patients and their families. She practices within the areas of psychotherapy and psychological assessment with a focus on empirically supported treatments for psychiatric disorders within the context of adult health psychology.
She enjoys teaching applications of psychological science in the practice of health care, and regularly supervises psychology practicum students, clinical psychology interns and psychology post-doctoral residents. She has collaborated with psychiatry residents in their independent research projects.