Mazin F. Alkasspooles, MD, FACS
Dr. Mazin Al-kasspooles, MD, FACS, is a Professor of Surgery in the Oncologic Surgery Division at the University of Kansas Medical Center. Dr. Al-kasspooles has completed both his undergraduate and medical training in his home state at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. After completing his General Surgery Residency at Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix, Arizona, Dr. Al-kasspooles went on to a three-year combined research and clinical fellowship in Surgical Oncology at Roswell Park Cancer Institute at the State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo. Dr. Al-kasspooles entered practice as a teaching surgeon in Phoenix, Arizona, where he stayed until joining KUMC faculty in 2005.
Education and Training
- BS, Pre-Medicine, University of Michigan , Ann Arbor, MI
- MD, General Surgery , University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI
- Internship, General Surgery, Maricopa Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ
- Residency, General Surgery, Maricopa Medical Center, Phoenix , AZ
- Residency, General Surgery, Maricopa Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ
- Other, Surgical Oncology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY
- Clinical Fellowship, Surgical Oncology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY
Dr. Al-kasspooles’s clinical interests lie in gastrointestinal cancers (primarily esophageal, gastric, and colorectal cancers), but he practices all areas of oncologic surgery, including breast cancer, melanoma, and soft tissue sarcomas. Dr. Al-kasspooles is also actively involved in researching the genetics behind cancer development and assists in enrolling interested patients in ongoing clinical trials.