Liang Zheng, Ph.D.
Dr. Zheng obtained his PhD in Marine Life Science from Hokkaido University, Japan, and completed his postdoctoral training at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, where he was awarded a postdoctoral fellowship from the American Heart Association and mentored by Dr. X. Long Zheng. He joined the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the University of Kansas Medical Center as a Research Assistant Professor in July 2020.
Education and Training
- MSC, Marine Biology , Shanghai Ocean University
- PhD, Marine Life Science , Hokkaido University
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, Toxicology, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, Pathology , University of Alabama at Birmingham
Dr. Zheng's research is centered on advancing our understanding of Thrombotic Microangiopathy (TMA), a group of rare but severe thrombotic disorders, and developing new targeted therapeutic approaches using animal models of TMA. He primarily employ zebrafish and mouse models to identify and characterize novel genetic factors and pathways involved in the pathogenesis of TMA. In addition, he is interested in exploring the role of environmental factors in modulating the disease onset, progression, and outcome.
Current Research and Grants
- The function of ANKRD26 and its role in megakaryopoiesis and thrombocytopenia, NIDDK Cooperative Centers of Excellence in Hematology, PI
- Career Development Award, American Heart Association , PI
- Ankrd26, Thrombocytopenia 2 and TTP, National Blood Foundation , PI
- Zebrafish Models of Thrombocytopenia , National Institute of Genetics, Japan, PI
- Zheng, Liang , Cao, Liyun , Zheng, X. Long. 2022. ADAMTS13 protease or lack of von Willebrand factor protects irradiation and melanoma-induced thrombotic microangiopathy in zebrafish. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 20 (10), 2270-2283
- Zheng, Liang , Zheng, X. Long . 2022. Animal models for thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: a narrative review. Annals of Blood. https://aob.amegroups.com/article/view/7300/pdf
- Zheng, L, Abdelgawwad, M., S, Zhang, D, Xu, L, Wei, S, Cao, W, Zheng, X., L. 2020. Histone-induced thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura in adamts13-/- zebrafish depends on von Willebrand factor.. Haematologica, 105 (4), 1107-1119
- Zheng, L, Zhang, D, Cao, W, Song, W., C, Zheng, X., L. 2019. Synergistic effects of ADAMTS13 deficiency and complement activation in pathogenesis of thrombotic microangiopathy.. Blood, 134 (13), 1095-1105
- Zheng, Liang, Mao, Yingying, Abdelgawwad, Mohammad ., S , Kocher , Nicole , Li, Mandy, Dai, Xiangrong, Li, Benjamin , Zheng, X. Long. 2016. Therapeutic efficacy of the platelet glycoprotein Ib antagonist anfibatide in murine models of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood advances , 1 (1), 75-83
- Zheng, Liang , Hill, Jake , Zheng, Lucy , Rumi , M A Karim, Zheng, X. Long. 2022. A Simple, Robust, and Cost-effective Method for Genotyping Small-scale Mutations. Journal of clinical and translational pathology , 2 (3), 108-115. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36276172/