Lora L. Black, PhD, MPH
Lora Black, Ph.D., M.P.H., is an assistant professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Kansas Medical Center. A licensed psychologist, she supervises psychology interns, psychology practicum students and psychiatry residents. Dr. Black has a joint appointment in the Department of Anesthesiology, where she serves as part of the multidisciplinary pain medicine fellowship.
Dr. Black earned a bachelor's degree in psychology at Texas Aandamp;M University and master's degrees in clinical psychology from the University of Houston-Clear Lake and the University of Kansas. She also has a master of public health degree from the KU Medical Center and a doctorate from KU. Dr. Black completed a predoctoral internship in behavioral medicine at the Brown University School of Medicine and a postdoctoral fellowship in cancer survivorship at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.
Dr. Black's clinical responsibilities include providing assessment and psychotherapy for chronic pain patients at the Marc A. Asher Comprehensive Spine Center at The University of Kansas Health System, as well as conducting presurgical psychological evaluations for a variety of medical interventions.
Her professional and research interests include psychological approaches to chronic pain management, identifying and assessing psychosocial approaches to chronic pain management, identifying and assessing psychosocial predictors of chronic pain and outcomes of pain interventions, and coping with chronic illnesses.
Education and Training
- BS, Psychology, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- Internship, Clinical Psychology, Brown University Internship Consortium, Providence, RI
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, Psycho-Oncology, Women’s Behavioral Health, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, Behavioral Medicine, Pediatric/Adolescent & Young Adult Cancer, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- Licensed Psychologist, Kansas State Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board