Kim J. Templeton, MD
Kimberly Templeton, MD, FAAOS, FAOA, FAMWA is Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and has been the residency program director for almost 20 years. She received her undergraduate degree from Washington University in St. Louis and her MD from the University of Missouri in Columbia. She completed her residency at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s in Chicago and her oncology fellowship in the Harvard Combined Programs. Her clinical practice is focused on orthopaedic oncology, as well as women’s musculoskeletal health. Her research is in the area of sex and gender medicine and the inclusion of this into health professions’ education, as well as the issues faced by women physicians. Dr. Templeton is past-president of the Kansas Orthopaedic Society, the Mid-Central States Orthopaedic Society, the US Bone and Joint Initiative, and the American Medical Women’s Association. She is currently a member of the ACGME Orthopaedic Residency Review Committee, a member-at-large of the NBME, one of the 2 orthopaedic representatives to the AAMC Council of Faculty and Academic Societies, a member and past-president of the state medical board, and a member of various committees within the National Quality Forum and the National Committee for Quality Assurance.
After growing up in the Midwest (Missouri and Indiana), Dr. Templeton wanted to come back to the area to practice. She has been at the University of Kansas since completing her fellowship in Boston. Dr. Templeton devotes most of her time outside of the hospital to working on state, regional, and national education and advocacy initiatives. She grew up playing tennis, including on the Washington University varsity team, and remains interested in sports. She also spends time on her passions- interior design and cooking.
Education and Training
- MD, Medicine, University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia , MO
- BS, Biology, Washington Univ.
- Residency, Orthopedics, Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center, Chicgo, IL
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, Musculoskeletal Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- American Medical Women’s Association, President, 2019 - Present
- Kansas State Board of Healing Arts, Member, 2008 - Present
- American Orthopaedic Association, Member, 2003 - Present
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (Fellow), Fellow, 2000 - Present
- Mid-America Orthopaedic Association, Member, 2000 - Present
- Kansas Orthopaedic Society , Member, 1999 - 2001
- Clinical Orthopedic Society, Member, 1998 - Present
- van Atteveld, J., E, Mulder, R., L, van den Heuvel-Eibrink, M., M, Hudson, M., M, Kremer LCM, Skinner, R, Wallace, W., H, Constine, L., S, Higham, C., E, Kaste, S., C, Niinimäki, R, Mostoufi-Moab, S, Alos, N, Fintini, D, Templeton, K., J, Ward, L., M, Frey, E, Franceschi, R, Pavasovic, V, Karol, S., E, Amin, N., L, Vrooman, L., M, Harila-Saari, A, Demoor-Goldschmidt, C, Murray, R., D, Bardi, E, Lequin, M., H, Faienza, M., F, Zaikova, O, Berger, C, Mora, S, Ness, K., K, Neggers SJCMM, Pluijm SMF, Simmons, J., H, Di Iorgi, N. 2021. Bone mineral density surveillance for childhood, adolescent, and young adult cancer survivors: evidence-based recommendations from the International Late Effects of Childhood Cancer Guideline Harmonization Group.. The lancet. Diabetes & endocrinology, 9 (9), 622-637
- Hierl, A., N, Moran, H., K, Villwock, M., R, Templeton, K., J, Villwock, J., A. 2021. ABCs of Pain: A Functional Scale Measuring Perioperative Pain in Total Hip Arthroplasty Patients.. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Global research & reviews, 5 (6), e21.00097-10
- Haase, D., R, Kimbrel, B, Bombardier, B, Templeton, K., J, Rosenthal, H., G, Sweeney, K., R. 2021. Tranexamic Acid in Patients With Cancer Undergoing Endoprosthetic Reconstruction: A Cost Analysis.. The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 29 (22), 961-969
- Walling, A, Nilsen, K, Templeton, K., J. 2020. The Only Woman in the Room: Oral Histories of Senior Women Physicians in a Midwestern City.. Women's health reports (New Rochelle, N.Y.), 1 (1), 279-286
- Templeton, K., J. 2020. Sex and Gender Issues in Pain Management.. The Journal of bone and joint surgery. American volume, 102 Suppl 1, 32-35