Kim J. Templeton, MD
Kimberly Templeton, MD, FAAOS, FAOA, FAMWA is Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and has been the residency program director for almost 20 years. She received her undergraduate degree from Washington University in St. Louis and her MD from the University of Missouri in Columbia. She completed her residency at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s in Chicago and her oncology fellowship in the Harvard Combined Programs. Her clinical practice is focused on orthopaedic oncology, as well as women’s musculoskeletal health. Her research is in the area of sex and gender medicine and the inclusion of this into health professions’ education, as well as the issues faced by women physicians. Dr. Templeton is past-president of the Kansas Orthopaedic Society, the Mid-Central States Orthopaedic Society, the US Bone and Joint Initiative, and the American Medical Women’s Association. She is currently a member of the ACGME Orthopaedic Residency Review Committee, a member-at-large of the NBME, one of the 2 orthopaedic representatives to the AAMC Council of Faculty and Academic Societies, a member and past-president of the state medical board, and a member of various committees within the National Quality Forum and the National Committee for Quality Assurance.
After growing up in the Midwest (Missouri and Indiana), Dr. Templeton wanted to come back to the area to practice. She has been at the University of Kansas since completing her fellowship in Boston. Dr. Templeton devotes most of her time outside of the hospital to working on state, regional, and national education and advocacy initiatives. She grew up playing tennis, including on the Washington University varsity team, and remains interested in sports. She also spends time on her passions- interior design and cooking. While you rotate with Dr. Templeton, you get to learn probably more than you would like to know about her cats (Eugenie and Beatrice)- so please come with animal stories of your own!
Education and Training
- MD, Medicine, University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia , MO
- BS, Biology, Washington Univ.
- Residency, Orthopedics, Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center, Chicgo, IL
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, Musculoskeletal Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- American Medical Women’s Association, President, 2019 - Present
- Kansas State Board of Healing Arts, Member, 2008 - Present
- American Orthopaedic Association, Member, 2003 - Present
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (Fellow), Fellow, 2000 - Present
- Mid-America Orthopaedic Association, Member, 2000 - Present
- Kansas Orthopaedic Society , Member, 1999 - 2001
- Clinical Orthopedic Society, Member, 1998 - Present
- Templeton, Kimberly., J.. 2017. CORR Insights®: A Resident-led Initiative Improves Screening and Treatment for Vitamin D Deficiency in Patients with Hip Fractures. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®, 475 (1), 271-272. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11999-016-5125-4
- Templeton, Kimberly., J. 2019. From Bench to Bedside: How Do We Improve Education in Sex- and Gender-Based Health?. Journal of Women's Health, 28 (12), 1599-1600. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2019.8028
- Templeton, Kim. 2016. Impact of Gender on Teaching Evaluations of Faculty: Another Example of Unconscious Bias?. Journal of Women's Health, 25 (5), 420-421. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2016.29008.kte
- Bokemper, Michael., K., Araiza, Edgar., T., Templeton, Kimberly., J., Fox, Tyler., J.. 2018. Third-Ray and Capitate Resection with Limited Midcarpal Fusion for Recurrent Giant Cell Tumor. JBJS Case Connector, 8 (1), e15. http://dx.doi.org/10.2106/jbjs.cc.17.00161
- Haase, Douglas., R., Templeton, Kimberly., J., Rosenthal, Howard., G., Sweeney, Kyle., R.. 2019. Tranexamic Acid in Patients With Cancer Undergoing Endoprosthetic Reconstruction. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 1. http://dx.doi.org/10.5435/jaaos-d-18-00798