Jinxi Wang, MD, PhD
Professor, Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine
Adjunct Professor, Biochemistry and Molecular Biologyjwang@kumc.edu
Dr. Jinxi Wang is the Mary and Paul Harrington Distinguished Professor in Orthopedics, Professor of Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine, and Director of the Multidisciplinary Musculoskeletal Research Program at KU Medical Center. He earned his medical degree from Suzhou Medical College in China and received his PhD degree in cell biology and clinical training in orthopedic surgery from a joint program of Suzhou Medical College and Loma Linda University in California, followed by postdoctoral fellowships in orthopaedics and skeletal biology at Boston Children’s Hospital and Harvard University Medical School.
Currently, Dr. Wang’s role focuses on orthopedic research, teaching, and academic services. He directs the Harrington Laboratory for Molecular Orthopedics. His major research areas include the role of biomaterial-carried osteogenic proteins in osteoblast differentiation and bone regeneration, pathogenetic mechanisms of osteoarthritis, and chondrocyte differentiation and cartilage repair. His research program has been sponsored by the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD). Dr. Wang teaches courses on musculoskeletal biology and specific orthopedic diseases to medical students and orthopedic residents. He has served as an associate editor and editorial board member for numerous biomedical journals. He has also served as a grant reviewer for NIH, DOD, and several international medical research funding agencies. His work has won many awards from national and international organizations including the NIH, Orthopaedic Research Society (USA), and International Society of Chemistry and Biology of Mineralized Tissues.
Education and Training
- PhD, Cell Biology, Suzhou Medical College and Loma Linda University
- MD, Suzhou Medical College
- Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, Suzhou Medical College Hospital and Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, Advanced Coursework in Bone Biology, Harvard University Medical School, Boston, MA
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, Molecular and Cell Biology of Skeletal Tissues, Harvard Medical School and Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston, MA