Jeffrey M. Statland, M.D.
Jeffrey M. Statland, M.D., is a professor of neurology at the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, Kansas.
Dr. Statland holds a bachelor's degree from Sarah Lawrence College, an MFA from Emerson College and a medical degree from the University of Kansas School of Medicine. He completed his residency training in the Department of Neurology at the University of Kansas Medical Center and also conducted a fellowship in experimental therapeutics of neurologic disorders in the Department of Neurology at the University of Rochester Medical Center.
He is board certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
Education and Training
- BA, Literature, Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY, Bronxville, NY
- Other, Writing, Literature and Publishing, Emerson College, Boston, MA, Boston, MA
- MD, University of KansasMedicalCtr
- Other, Neurology, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS
- Other, Experimental Therapeutics, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- Medical License, Board of Healing Arts
- Medical License, Kansas Board of Healing Arts
- Neurology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- World Muscle Society, Member, 2018 - Present
- American Medical Association, Member, Member, 2016 - Present
- Hereditary Neuropathy Foundation, Member, 2016 - Present
- American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine, Member, 2014 - Present
- Department of Neurology Fellowship Coordinating Committee, Department of Neurology Fellowship Coordinating Committee, Other, 2014 - Present
- Department of Neurology, Neuromuscular Group, Department of Neurology, Neuromuscular Group, Other, 2014 - Present
- Myotonic Dystrophy Foundation, Physician Member, Member, 2014 - Present
Dr. Statland's research background has centered primarily on describing the natural history of and response to therapy for neuromuscular diseases. He completed a neuromuscular fellowship in experimental therapeutics of neurological diseases at the University of Rochester Medical Center, and currently serves as principal investigator or co-investigator for research studies in Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy (FSHD), Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Spinal Muscular Atrophy, and Myotonic Dystrophy.
His specific research interest over the last 10 years has been preparing for clinical trials in FSHD. He has systematically analyzed performance of strength and functional outcomes in prior FSHD clinical trials and compared to performance in a natural history study. He has worked with collaborators to develop new disease-relevant outcome measures to assess patient-reported disease burden, functional impairment, and physiological changes in muscle. He is the co-PI for the FSHD Clinical Trial Research Network which is comprised of 15 institutions in the United States and European Union.
- Statland JM, Barohn RJ. 2020. ALS patients demand . RRNMF Neuromusc J, 1 (1), 50-85
- Stunnenberg BC, LoRusso S, Arnold WD, Barohn RJ, Cannon SC, Fontaine B, B, Griggs RC, Hanna MG, Matthews E, Meola G, Sansone VA, Trivedi JR, van Engelen BGM, Vicart S, Statland JM. 2020. Guidelines on clinical presentation and management of non-dystrophic myotonias. Muscle Nerve
- Turner RM, Barohn RJ, Corcia P, Fink JK, Harms MB, Kiernan MC, Ravits J, Silani V, Simmons Z, Statland JM, van den Berg LH, Delegates of the 2nd International PLS Conference, Mitsumoto H. 2020. Primary lateral sclerosis: consensus diagnostic criteria. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry, 91 (4), 373-377
- Wagner KR, Abdel-Hamid HZ, Mah JK, Campbell C, Guglieri M, Muntoni F, Takeshima Y, McDonald CM, Kostera-Pruszczyk A, Karachunski P, Butterfield RJ, Mercuri E, Fiorillo C, Bertini ES, Tian C, Statland J, Sadosky AB, Purohit VS, Sherlock SP, Palmer JP, Binks M, Charnas L, Marraffino S, Wong BL. 2020. Randomized phase 2 trial and open-label extension of domagrozumab in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Neuromuscul Disord, 30 (6), 492-502
- Wong CJ, Wang LH, Friedman SD, Shaw D, Campbell AE, Budech CB, Lewis LM, Lemmers RJFL, Statland JM, van der Maarel SM, Tawil RN, Tapscott SJ. 2020. Longitudinal measures of RNA expression and disease activity in FSHD muscle biopsies. Hum Mol Genet, 29 (6), 1030-1043
- Fullam T, Chandrashekhar S, Farmakidis C, Jabari D, Jawdat O, Pasnoor M, Dimachkie M, Statland J. 2021. Non-dystrophic myotonia: 2-year longitudinal study. J Clin Neuromuscul Dis, 22 (15)
- Herbelin L, Statland JM, Kimminau K, Waitman R, Heim A, Dwyer S, Johnsen K, Barohn R. 2021. A patient activities of daily living scale for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. RRNMF Neuromuscular Journal, 2 (1), 14-28
- Lingor P, Koch JC, Statland JM, Hussain S, Hennecke C, Wuu J, Langbein T, Ahmed R, Gunther R, Ilse B, Kassubek J, Kollwew K, Kuttler J, Leha A, Legenfeld T, Meyer T, Neurwirth C, Tostmann R, Benatar M. 2021. Challenges and opportunities for multi-national investigator-initiated clinical trials for ALS: European and United States collaborations. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener, 1-7
- Rudnicki SA, Andrews JA, Duong T, Cockroft BM, Malik FI, Meng L, Wei J, Wolff AA, Genge A, Johnson NE, Tesi-Rocha C, Connolly AM, Darras BT, Felice K, Shieh PB, Mah JK, Statland J, Campbell C, Habib AA, Kuntz NL, Oskoui M, Day JW. 2021. Reldesemtiv in patients with spinal muscular atrophy: a phase 2 hypothesis-generating study. Neurotherapeutics
- Wagner KR, Abdel-Hamid HZ, Mah JK, Campbell C, Guglieri M, Munton F, Takeshima Y, McDonald CM, Kostera-Pruszccyk A, Karachunski P, Butterfield RJ, Mercuri E, Fiorillo C, Bertini ES, Tian C, Statland J, Sadosky AB, Purohit VS, Sherlock SP, Palmer JP, Binks M, Charmas L, Marraffino S, Wong BL. 2021. Corrigendum to "Randomized phase 2 trial and open-label extension of domagrozumab in Duchenne muscular dystrophy" [Neuromuscular Disorders, Vol. 30(6), 2020, 492-502]. Neuromuscul Disord, 31 (2), 167-168