Jonathon K. Salava, MD
Assistant Professor, Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine
Jonathon Salava, MD, FAAOS is a Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, and has been at the University of Kansas School of Medicine as faculty since June 2018. He received his undergraduate degree from University of Kansas in Lawrence and his medical degree from the University of Kansas as well, at the KU School of Medicine in Kansas City. He completed his residency at Marshall University School of Medicine in Huntington, WV and served as faculty there for 4 years following fellowship. He completed his Adult Reconstruction fellowship in Charlotte, NC at the OrthoCarolina Hip and Knee Center.
Dr. Salava’s clinical practice is focused on primary and revision total joint arthroplasty. He is passionate about teaching students and residents, but also fellow surgeons. This desire to teach the finer techniques of total knee replacement, total hip replacement, and revision arthroplasty has landed him on several resident and surgeon course panels each year. His research also centers on improving patient outcomes after total joint arthroplasty.
Education and Training
- MD, University of KansasMedicalCtr
- Internship, Orthopaedic Surgery, Marshall University School of Medicine Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, Marshall University School of Medicine Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Clinical Fellowship, Orthopaedic Surgery - Adult Reconstruction/Arthroplasty, OrthoCarolina Hip and Knee Center
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- Board Certification, American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Medical License, Kansas Board of Healing Arts
- Salava, Jonathon. 2021. Total Knee Arthroplasty following Knee Arthroscopy in Patients over 50. Journal of Knee Surgery 34875714 (Online Publication)
- Salava, Jonathon. 2021. Lower Extremity Girth Does Not Predict Complications in TKA. Journal of Arthroplasty, 36 (8), 2765-2770
- Salava, Jonathon., Kyle. 2019. Total Hip Arthroplasty or Hemiarthroplasty for Hip Fracture. New England Journal of Medicine, 381 (23), 2199-2208
- Emmer, T, Oliashirazi, A. 2016. Extensile Exposure. Operative Technics in Joint Reconstruction