Joel D. Mermis, M.D.
Dr. Joel Mermis is an associate professor of medicine and director of the adult cystic fibrosis program at the University of Kansas Medical Center. Dr. Mermis is principal investigator of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation supported University of Kansas Medical Center Therapeutic Development Center.
Dr. Mermis received a medical degree from the University of Kansas, completed internal medicine residency and chief residency at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, and pulmonary and critical care fellowship from the University of Kansas Medical Center.
Dr. Mermis is the recipient of several Cystic Fibrosis Foundation grants and is the principal investigator of ongoing observational and therapeutic clinical trials with focus on cystic fibrosis and bronchiectasis.
Education and Training
- BS, Biochemistry, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Emory University
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta , Georgia
- Clinical Fellowship, Pulmonary and Critical Care, University of Kansas Medical Center
- University of Kansas Medical Center Dept. of Internal Medicine Research Committee, Member, 2021 - Present
- American College of Chest Physicians, Member, 2010 - Present
- American Thoracic Society, Member, 2010 - Present
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Member, 2010 - Present
- Komakula, S, Mermis, J, Khatri, S, Savill, S, Haque, S, Jackson, AC, Holguin, F. 2006. Relationship of body mass index with airway mechanics and adipocyte-related cytokines in African American asthmatics.. JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE MEDICINE, 54 (1), S296-S296
- Komakula, Sushma, Khatri, Sumita, Mermis, Joel, Savill, Samira, Haque, Shireen, Rojas, Mauricio, Brown, LouAnn, Teague, Gerald., W., Holguin, Fernando. 2007. Body mass index is associated with reduced exhaled nitric oxide and higher exhaled 8-isoprostanes in asthmatics. RESPIRATORY RESEARCH, 8
- Mermis, Joel, O'Brien-Ladner, Amy, Dhillon, Navneet. 2010. HIV-Tat Potentiates The Proliferation Of Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells Through Induction Of PDGF/ PDGF- Receptor Axis. http://dx.doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2010.181.1_meetingabstracts.a1176
- Mermis, Joel, O'Brien-Ladner, Amy, Dhillon, Navneet., K.. 2011. HIV-Associated Viral Proteins Induce Parallel Hypoxia-Inducible Factor-1Alpha And Platelet Derived Growth Factor Accumulation. http://dx.doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2011.183.1_meetingabstracts.a5014
- Mermis, Joel, Pornputtapitak, Warangkana, O'Brien-Ladner, Amy, El-Gendy, N., Dhillon, Navneet., K., Berkland, Cory. 2011. Nanocluster Formulations Of Budesonide Enhance Aerosol Delivery Through Endotracheal Tubes. http://dx.doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2011.183.1_meetingabstracts.a2145
- Lovitt, Collin, Mermis, Joel. 2011. Diffuse Alveolar Hemorrhage as a Complication of Churg Strauss. Kansas Journal of Medicine, 4 (3). http://dx.doi.org/10.17161/kjm.v4i3.11363
- Mermis, Joel, Gu, Haihua, Xue, Bing, Li, Fang, Tawfik, Ossama, Buch, Shilpa, Bartolome, Sonja, O'Brien-Ladner, Amy, Dhillon, Navneet., K. 2011. Hypoxia-inducible factor-1 α/platelet derived growth factor axis in HIV-associated pulmonary vascular remodeling. Respiratory Research, 12 (1). http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1465-9921-12-103
- Strom, Jeremy., C., Simpson, Steven., Q., Stites, Steven, Mermis, Joel. 2012. Incidence Of Symptomatic Venous Thromboembolism Associated With Peripherally Inserted Central Catheters In Patients With Cystic Fibrosis. http://dx.doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2012.185.1_meetingabstracts.a2813
- Burnett, David., M., Barry, Ashley., N., Mermis, Joel., D.. 2020. Physical Activity Level and Perception of Exercise in Cystic Fibrosis. RESPIRATORY CARE, 65 (4), 500-506
- Mahmood, Uzair., Ahmed, Mermis, Joel., D., Khan, Noor-Mah, El Atrouni, Wissam. 2021. Rhabdomyolysis With COVID-19. Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice, 29 (2), e129-e130. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/ipc.0000000000000968