Jennifer R. Klemp, PhD, MPH, MA
Jennifer R. Klemp, PhD, MPH, MA, is a Professor of Medicine, in the Division of Medical Oncology, the Director of Cancer Survivorship, the Co-Program Leader for Cancer Prevention and Control, and the co-leader of the Cancer Care Delivery and Health Equity Disease Working Group, at the University of Kansas Cancer Center. Her clinical-research practice focuses on cancer genetics and cancer survivorship.
She received her Master’s in Public Health (MPH) from the University of Kansas Medical Center in 1999, her Masters in Clinical Psychology (MA) from the University of Kansas in 2003, her Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (PhD) from the University of Kansas in 2007 as well as completed her internship in Health Psychology at Rush University Medical Center (Chicago) in 2006.
Dr. Klemp serves on a number of national boards, is a subject matter expert in cancer genetics and survivorship, has peer reviewed funding including an NCI R01 focused on shared-care between oncology and primary care of cancer survivors. She has developed a community of practice across the region using Project ECHO for increasing access to cancer genetic education and testing, along with a multi-disciplinary approach to cancer survivorship. In 2012, she launched the 23rd start-up at the University of Kansas, focused on professional development and improving efficiency andamp; access to evidence-based health care. She has presented nationally focusing on cancer genetics, shared decision-making regarding options to manage cancer risk and survivorship issues, and the development and implementation of cancer genetics, survivorship, and navigation programming.
Education and Training
- BA, Bachelor of Arts, Univ. of Kansas
- MPH, Masters in Public Health, Univ. of Kansas-Medical Ctr.
- MA, Masters in Clinical Psychology, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
- PhD, Doctorate in Clinical Psychology , Univ. of Kansas
- Clinical Psychology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Il
- University of KS Medical Center, Cancer Prevention and Control, Member, 2019 - Present
- Kansas Cancer Partnership, Co-Chair, 2018 - Present
- University of KS Medical Center, KUMC Institutional Review Board, Member, 2018 - Present
- ASCO University's Review Panel, Member, 2017 - 2017
- Children's Mercy Cancer Center, Program Member, 2015 - Present
- University of KS Cancer Center, Cancer Survivorship Planning Workgroup, Co-Leader, 2015 - Present
- University of KS Medical Center, School of Medicine to the Faculty Assembly Information Resources Committee, Member, 2015 - 2018
Current Research and Grants
- KanSurvive: Testing a Model for Improving Cancer Survivorship Care in Rural Practice, NCI/RO1 RFA-CA-18-026 Improving the Reach and Quality of Cancer Care in Rural Populations, PI
- Sexual Health Empowerment for Jail-Involved Women's Health Literacy and Prevention, RO1CA181047
- The University of Kansas Cancer Center's MCA Rural NCORPNCI Community Oncology Research Program - Minority/Underserved Community Site, NCI/RFA-CA-18-017
- Fulbright, J., M, Hein, W, Stegenga, K, Alsman, K, Sharma, M, Ryan, P, Klemp, J., R, Nelson, E., L, Raman, S. 2020. Implementing a Stepwise Educational Approach for Bridging the Gap Between Specialty and Primary Care for childhood Cancer Survivors. J Cancer Surviv, 14 (5), 660-665
- Fabian, C., J, Khan, S., A, Garber, J., E, Dooley, W., C, Yee, L., D, Klemp, J., R, Nydegger, J., L, Powers, K., R, Kreutzjans, A., L, Zalles, C., M, Metheny, T, Phillips, T., A, Hu, J, Koestler, D., C, Chalise, P, Yellapu, N., K, Jernigan, C, Petroff, B., K, Hursting, S., D, Kimler, B., F. 2020. Randomized Phase IIB Trial of the Lignan Secoisolariciesinol Diglucoside in Premenopausal Women at Increased Risk for Development of Breast Cancer. Cancer Prev Res, 13 (7), 623-634
- Myers, J., S, Cook-Wiens, G, Baynes, R, Jo, M., Y, Bailey, C, Krigel, S, Klemp, J., R, Asher, A. 2020. Emerging From the Haze: A Multicenter, Controlled Pilot Study of a Multidimensional Psychoeducation-Based Cognitive Rehabilitation Intervention for Breast Cancer Survivors Delivered with Telehealth Conferencing. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 101 (6), 948-959
- Myers, J., S, Nesreen, A, Mitchell, M, Dai, J, He, J, Moon, S, O'Dea, A, Klemp, J, Kurylo, M, Akinwuntan, A, Devos, H. 2020. Pilot Feasibility Study Examining Pupillary Response During Driving Simulation as a Measure of Cognitive Load in Breast Cancer Survivors. Oncol Nurs Forum, 47 (2), 203-212
- Blaes, A., H, Jewett, P., I, McKay, K, Riley, D, Jatoi, I, Trentham-Dietz, A, Chrischilles, E, Klemp, J., R. 2019. Factors Associated with Genetic Testing in a Cohort of Breast Cancer Survivors. The Breast Journal, 25 (6), 1241-1244. https://www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.proxy.kumc.edu/pubmed/?term=10.1111%2Ftbj.13440 | |
- Cummings, S, Dobrea, L, Bodurtha, J., N, dala Rama, F, Johnston, D, Jamieson, L., S, Shockney, L., D, Klemp, Jennifer., R. 2019. Fundamentals of Genetics and Genomics in Oncology. JONS-Journal of Oncology Navigation and Survivorship, 10 (10), 381-391. http://www.jons-online.com
- McDowell, B, Klemp, Jennifer., R, Blaes, A, Cohee, A, Trentham-Dietz, A, Kamaraju, S, Otte, J, Mott, S, Chrischilles, E. 2020. The Association Between Cancer Care Coordination and Quality of Life is Stronger for Breast Cancer Patients with Lower Health Literacy: A Greater Plains Collaborative Study. Support Care Cancer, 28 (2), 887-895. https:\\www-ncbi-nim-nih-gov.proxy.kumc.edu/pubmed/?term=10.1007%2Fs00520-019-04894-y
- Sharma, P, López-Tarruella, S, García-Saenz, J., A, Khan, Q., J, Gómez, H., L, Prat, A, Moreno, F, Jerez-Gilarranz, Y, Barnadas, A, Picornell, A., C, Monte-Millán, M., D, González-Rivera, M, Massarrah, T, Pelaez-Lorenzo, B, Palomero, M., I, Del González Val, R, Cortés, J, Fuentes-Rivera, H, Morales, D., B, Márquez-Rodas, I, Perou, C., M, Lehn, C, Wang, Y., Y, Klemp, J., R, Mammen, J., V, Wagner, J., L, Amin, A., L, O'Dea, A., P, Heldstab, J, Jensen, R., A, Kimler, B., F, Godwin, A., K, Martín, M. 2018. Pathological Response and Survival in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Following Neoadjuvant Carboplatin plus Docetaxel.. Clinical Cancer Research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, 24 (23), 5820-5829. https://www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.proxy.kumc.edu/pubmed/?term=30061361 |
- Dizon, D., S, Sedrak, M., S, Lewis, M., A, Cook, E, Fisch, M., J, Klemp, J., R, Sommers, J, Ciccarella, A, Gralow, J, Lawton, W, Nichols, C. 2018. Incorporating Digital Tools to Improve Clinical Trial Infrastructure: A White Paper From the Digital Engagement Committee of SWOG.. JCO Clinical Cancer Informatics, 2, 1-8. 30652537 | https://www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.proxy.kumc.edu/pubmed/30652537 |
- Greenlee, H, Lew, D., L, Hershman, D., L, Newman, V, Hansen, L, Hartman, S, Korner, J, Shi, Z, Molmenti, C., S, Sayegh, A, Fehrenbacher, L, Klemp, Jennifer., R, Rinn, K, Robertson, J., M, Unger, J, Gralow, J, Albain, K, Krouse, R, Fabian, Carol., J. 2018. Phase II Feasibility Study of a Physical Activity and Dietary Change Weight Loss Intervention in Breast and Colorectal Cancer Survivors. Obesity, 26 (10), 1539-49. https://www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.proxy.kumc.edu/pubmed/?term=30272836 | |