Jorge Kawano Castillo, M.D.
Jorge Kawano-Castillo, M.D., graduated from the Universidad Peruana Cayetano-Peru, completed his residency at the University of New Mexico, and then took a fellowship at the University of Texas-Houston. His specialities include neurology and vascular neurology. His clinical practice is focused on acute ischemic stroke, intracerebral hemorrhage, carotid stenosis, stroke prevention as well as general neurology and hospitalized neurology patients.
Education and Training
- MD, Medical degree, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Peru
- Residency, Internship, University of New Mexico
- Residency, Neurology Residency, University of New Mexico
- Clinical Fellowship, Stroke (Vascular neurology), University of Texas at Houston
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- Kansas License, Kansas Board of Healing Arts
- Neurology Certification, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- McDonald, M., M, Wetzel, J, Fraser, S, Elliott, A, Bowry, R, Kawano-Castillo, J., F, Cai, C, Sangha, N, Messier, J, Hassler, A, Archeval-Lao, J, Parker, S., A, Rahbar, M., H, Pivalizza, E., G, Chang, T., R, Grotta, J., C. 2016. Thrombelastography does not predict clinical response to rtPA for acute ischemic stroke.. Journal of thrombosis and thrombolysis, 41 (3), 505-10
- Kawano-Castillo, J, Ward, E, Elliott, A, Wetzel, J, Hassler, A, McDonald, M, Parker, S., A, Archeval-Lao, J, Tremont, C, Cai, C, Pivalizza, E, Rahbar, M., H, Grotta, J., C. 2014. Thrombelastography detects possible coagulation disturbance in patients with intracerebral hemorrhage with hematoma enlargement.. Stroke, 45 (3), 683-8
- Guerrero, W., R, Gonzales, N., R, Sekar, P, Kawano-Castillo, J, Moomaw, C., J, Worrall, B., B, Langefeld, C., D, Martini, S., R, Flaherty, M., L, Sheth, K., N, Osborne, J, Woo, D. 2017. Variability in the Use of Platelet Transfusion in Patients with Intracerebral Hemorrhage: Observations from the Ethnic/Racial Variations of Intracerebral Hemorrhage Study.. Journal of stroke and cerebrovascular diseases : the official journal of National Stroke Association, 26 (9), 1974-1980
- McDonald, M., M, Archeval-Lao, J., M, Cai, C, Peng, H, Sangha, N, Parker, S., A, Wetzel, J, Riney, S., A, Cherches, M., F, Guthrie, G., J, Roper, T., C, Kawano-Castillo, J., F, Pandurengan, R, Rahbar, M., H, Grotta, J., C. 2014. Iodinated contrast does not alter clotting dynamics in acute ischemic stroke as measured by thromboelastography.. Stroke, 45 (2), 462-6
- Huisa, B., N, Roy, G, Kawano, J, Schrader, R. 2013. Glycosylated hemoglobin for diagnosis of prediabetes in acute ischemic stroke patients.. Journal of stroke and cerebrovascular diseases : the official journal of National Stroke Association, 22 (8), e564-7
- Huang, R., S, McDonald, M., M, Wetzel, J., S, Kawano-Castillo, J, Parker, S, Archeval-Lao, J, Cai, C, Rahbar, M., H, Nguyen, A., N, Baba, S., J, Grotta, J., C. 2015. Clot Strength as Measured by Thrombelastography Correlates with Platelet Reactivity in Stroke Patients.. Annals of clinical and laboratory science, 45 (3), 301-7