Joan M. Collison, M.D.
Joan M. T. Collison, M.D. completed her residency training in psychiatry at the University of Kansas Medical Center in December 2006, and joined the faculty at KUMC in July 2007.
Dr. Collison obtained her medical degree in 1985 from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, MD, and completed an internship in Internal Medicine at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore in 1986. She also completed an ophthalmology residency in 1989 at Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland, OR, and received board certification in ophthalmology in 1990.
Dr. Collison's professional work in ophthalmology was complemented by her long-standing interests in medical ethics and spirituality in health care, prompting her to serve as the Founding Chairperson for the Hays Medical Center Institutional Review Board, as the medical advisor for the former Lenexa-based IMTCI Institutional Review Board, and also as Chairperson for the Hays Medical Center Ethics Committee.
Dr. Collison also has extensive background in clinical research, having been a physician investigator for numerous clinical trials at PRA International from 1998-2003. In 2005, during her psychiatry residency, she was awarded a 3-year grant from the George Washington Institute for Spirituality and Health (GWish) to develop and implement a curriculum for KUMC psychiatry residents, addressing issues of spirituality in psychiatry.
Dr. Collison is currently responsible for supervising residents in the outpatient adult psychiatry clinic, and she sees individual adult patients in the outpatient clinic.
Her principal area of clinical interest lies in the integration of spirituality and psychiatric care, particularly for patients or family members of patients facing terminal or life-threatening illnesses.
Education and Training
- BS, Chemistry, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
- MD, N/A, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- Internship, Internal medicine, Mercy Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland
- Residency, Ophthalmology, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon
- Residency, Psychiatry, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- Controlled substance/regulated chemical registration certificate, United States Drug Enforcement Agency
- Professional board certification, American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology
- State medical license, Kansas State Board of Healing Arts
- State medical license, Missouri State Board of Registration for the Healing Arts
- State medical license, State of Oregon Board of Medical Examiners
- State medical license, Washington State Department of Health
- Collison, Joan., M. T.. 1986. Involvement of Orbital Tissues by Sarcoid. American Journal of Ophthalmology (102), 302-307
- Givens, Richard., S., Hrinczenko, Boris, Liu, J. H., Matuszewski, Bogdan, Tholen-Collison, Joan. 1984. Photoextrusion of SO2 from Arylmethylsulfones: Exploration of the Mechanism by Chemical Trapping, Chiral, and CIDNP Probes. Journal of the American Chemical Society (106), 1779-1789