Panopto Quickstart Guide
Follow this guide to create a Panopto recording as quickly as possible. If you do not have a Panopto account, please fill out this Panopto Request Form or call TLT at 913-588-7107.
1. Application Settings
Before you start recording, set your application settings exactly as shown below. Make sure you click the Save button at the bottom of the page after you have made the changes.
2. Pick your folder
You can create multiple folders or may have access to more than one folder. Make sure you pick the right one before you start your recording.
3. Audio check
It's important to know that if you don't have audio in your recording it won't process. Even if you know you aren't capturing audio, make sure the Capture Computer audio option is checked. Also, if you are using a microphone, check to see if the bar next to the microphone icon is moving up and down into the green area. It is fine if the bar goes into the yellow, but you never want the levels in the red. This will distort your sound.
4. Camera or no camera?
You can make a recording without using the camera by selecting "None" from the drop-down box in the Primary Sources section. You can also make a recording with just the camera by unchecking all of the boxes in the Secondary Sources section.
5. Secondary sources
You can record up to seven secondary HD sources and this includes things like PowerPoint slides, a second monitor screen, additional webcams, and document cameras. Anything that produces an image and can be connected to a computer should work. Select "Capture PowerPoint" and "Capture Main Screen" if you would like Panopto to create chapters each time you advance a slide in your presentation. Otherwise, selecting capture Main Screen will capture your whole desktop.
6. Resolution, FPS, and Kbps
- Resolution sets the sharpness of the secondary source recording.
- FPS stands for frames per second. A lower FPS is fine for recordings that contain static slides. Raise the FPS to 15 or higher if there will be fast moving action in your recording.
- Kbps (kilobits per second) determines the overall quality of the recording. The only reason to make this adjustment is if the FPS is raised above 15, and the Panopto application will automatically adjust it. This should also be lowered as much as possible if the FPS is adjusted to anything below 15.
- Make sure to click Apply after the settings change.
If you have any other questions please contact TLT by calling 913-588-7107 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.