The KU Center for Health Informatics selects applicants who, in the judgment of the Student Admission and Progression Committee, demonstrate the academic achievement, integrity and motivation necessary for successful leadership in interprofessional health informatics. The Committee looks for applicants who will contribute academic, nonacademic and socioeconomic diversity to the class. Health care experience is beneficial but not required.
You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for admission to master’s degree program:
- Bachelor’s degree from a nationally accredited university or college
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- If interested in the clinical track, clinical work experience with patients is preferred
- Potential for leadership and application of scholarship in health informatics
- Potential to provide expert service and leadership in health informatics
- Graduate-level statistics course (may be completed prior to admission or during the first semester of master’s degree program enrollment)
We do not require that applicants complete the GRE.
Background Check Requirement
For KU programs to maintain accreditation status, the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations requires that all persons, employees, volunteers and students involved in patient care activities have background checks. This status is very important to health care organizations to demonstrate to patients and professionals that they meet the highest of standards for patient care.
This background check will be done at the applicant's expense after provisional acceptance has been granted. The information from this report is held in confidence by the school. Learn more about the background checks for students.
The KU Medical Center Health Informatics Program is primarily online. As a result, we cannot accept international students who will be in the U.S. on student visas such as an F-1 visa. (U.S. student visas require that the vast majority of courses be taken in person and not online.) If you plan to be in the U.S. on another type of visa, such as a work visa, please contact HealthInformatics@kumc.edu for additional application requirements.