Gary S. Gronseth, MD
Gary Gronseth, M.D., FAAN, earned his undergraduate degree at Marquette University in 1977. He graduated in 1981 with a degree in medicine from the Medical College of Wisconsin, and completed his internship at St. Joseph's Hospital in Milwaukee in 1982. Dr. Gronseth finished flight surgeon education at the School of Aerospace Medicine at Brooks Air Force Base in San Antonio and subsequently served as chief of aerospace medicine at Malstrom Air Force Base in Montana. In 1989, he completed his neurology residency at Wilford Hall Air Force Base in San Antonio. From 1996 to 2002, he was chairman of neurology and director of the neurology residency program at Wilford Hall Air Force Base. In 2002, Dr. Gronseth retired from the Air Force with the rank of colonel.
Dr. Gronseth's career at the University of Kansas Medical Center began in 2002, where he currently serves as professor and chair of the Department of Neurology. In 2017, he was awarded a Chancellor's Club Teaching Professorship, which recognizes persons who have demonstrated outstanding teaching competence over an extended period of years.
In addition, Dr. Gronseth serves as the American Academy of Neurology's chief evidence-based medicine methodologist and is an associate editor of the journal Neurology. He has authored over 50 AAN Clinical Practice Guidelines.
Education and Training
- BS, Biology, Marquette University
- MD, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Other, Aerospace Medicine, School of Aerospace Medicine, TX
- Internship, Internal Medicine, Saint Joseph's Hospital, Milwaukee, WI
- Residency, Neurology, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- KS License, Kansas State Board of Healing Arts
- Neurology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- American Neurological Association, Member, 2020 - Present
- Association of University Professors of Neurology, Member, 2017 - Present
- Kansas City Southwest Clinical Society, Member, 2017 - Present
- Missouri Kansas Neurological Society, Member, 2017 - Present
- American Academy of Neurology, Evidence-Based Methodologist, Chief, 2010 - Present
- American Academy of Neurology, Guideline Development, Dissemination and Implementation Subcommittee, Member, 2010 - Present
- American Academy of Neurology, Quality Measures Subcommittee, Chair, 2003 - 2010