Elizabeth (Liz) J. Friedman, MD
I received my medical degree and completed pathology residency at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa, and subsequently completed pathology residency and fellowships in surgical pathology and cytopathology at KUMC. Following 17 years in private practice at
Physicians Reference Laboratory in Kansas City, I returned to KUMC, joining the KU Pathology faculty in 2014.
I am the director of the Bone and Soft Tissue Pathology division and particularly enjoy working closely with the orthopedic oncologic surgeons, radiologists, oncologists, and radiation oncologists in the Sarcoma Center of KUMC.
Education and Training
- Internship, Internal Medicine, General Surgery, & Gynecology , Hillbrow Hospital , Johannesburg, South Africa
- Residency, Pathology , University of Witwatersrand Medical School & South African Institute for Medical Research , Johannesburg , South Africa
- Other, Pathology , University of Witwatersrand Med. School and SAMIR, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Other, Pathology , Litton Pathology Association , Blue Springs , MO
- Residency, Pathology, Anatomic and clinical Pathology , University of Kansas -School of Medicine , Kansas City , Kansas
- Other, Surgical Pahtology and Cytopathology , University of Kansas - School of Medicine , Kansas City, Kansas
- Other, Pathology, St. Joseph Medical Center , Kansas City, MO
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- MD, Kansas State Board of Healing Arts
- American Society of Clinical pathologists , Member, 2015 - Present
- College of American Pathologists , Member, 2015 - Present
- Kansas City Society of Pathologists, Member, 2015 - Present
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathologists , Member, 2015 - Present
Being back in academic medicine has given me the opportunity to be involved in resident and medical student education which is very important to me, and I was proud to receive the STAR teaching award from the KU pathology residents in 2019. My clinical practice is divided between Bone and Soft Tissue Pathology, GI Pathology and Breast Pathology. My interests include collaboration with clinicians on various projects.
- Bombardier, Brenden, Haase, Douglas, Sweeney, Kyle, Friedman, Elizabeth, Poppe, Tanner, Hughes, Nicole. 2021. A comparison of depth of necrosis among adjuvant therapies used for the treatment of benign bone tumors. Journal of Surgical Oncology, 123 (5), 1299-1303. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jso.26397
- Lucas, Jacob., C., Karadaghy, Omar., A., Andrews, Brian, Friedman, Elizabeth, Kakarala, Kiran, Przylecki, Wojciech, Arganbright, Jill. 2021. Microsurgical Management of Early Onset Alveolar Soft Part Sarcoma of the Oral Tongue: Case Report and Review of the Literature. ANNALS OF OTOLOGY RHINOLOGY AND LARYNGOLOGY