Principle 3: Identify and Support Diversity, Inclusion and Health Equity Efforts throughout our Surrounding Communities
Purpose: Outlines best practices and resources for fair treatment, access, opportunity, and advancement for all people according to their circumstances.
Best Practices For Individual Accountability:
- Understand your diverse background and the elements that you bring to KUMC. Each of us brings to the table a lifetime of experience and knowledge which adds value to our KUMC community.
- Be cognizant of the strategic goals and vision of the KUMC DEI Cabinet and its connection to the overall surrounding Kansas and Missouri communities.
- Incorporate global consciousness into your daily decision making to advance the wellbeing of all members of your communities.
Best Practices For Institutional Accountability:
- Address and reduce health inequities through:
- Partnerships with internal and community stakeholders committed to social justice.
- Invest in strategic partnerships throughout our surrounding communities to develop leaders and citizens who will continue to strive for excellence and push the boundaries of discovery.
- Incorporate the strategic goals and vision of the KUMC DEI Cabinet within your teams and department initiatives.
Things to Avoid:
- Don’t wait on others to find opportunities for improvement or push DEI efforts forward. Become an ambassador of goodwill: change starts with you! It is important to sustain relationships, strategies, and ideas no matter how minor or insignificant they may seem.