Principle 2: Foster and Recognize the Value of Inclusive Environments and Teams at all Levels
Purpose: Outlines ways to sustain best practices for creating environments in which any individual or group will be welcomed, respected, supported, and valued.
Best Practices For Individual Accountability:
- Treat others with respect and civility every day.
- Commit to remaining aware so you can identify barriers in your environment and work towards education and sustainable solutions.
- Seek out diverse perspectives and feedback from peers, mentors, and leaders to address existing gaps in yourself with this principle.
Best Practices for Institutional Accountability:
- Strive to develop an inclusive environment at KUMC without regard to sexual orientation, age, color, gender identity or expression, nationality, origin, physical or mental ability, race, sex, education level, socioeconomic status, and political or religious perspective.
- Be intentional including diverse people, beliefs, culture, and ideas that promote respect, equality, academic freedom and impartial engagement across faculty, staff, and students.
- Strengthen and sustain diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts through a continuous improvement process to support our campus community.
Things to Avoid:
- Don’t underestimate the power and influence you have when showing understanding and support for individual identities and their backgrounds.
- Don’t think that inclusion is like a project with a set deadline. It will always be a work in progress, especially as the demographic of your teams and environment changes.