Our office offers a variety of opportunities to engage with efforts underway on our campuses. Whether you are looking to connect with other members of our community or to take part in one of our DEI committees, we are here to help.
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Cabinet leads campus-wide activities and goals related to related to diversity, equity and inclusion. Learn more
We have four active committes that help ensure that the university is continuously committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment. Learn more
Affinity groups are formed based on the collective interests of campus community members. They are a designated brave space where everyone in that group shares intersectionality and experiences. Affinity groups can be a place for individuals in a community who have been historically excluded to feel less isolated and become more connected. The purpose of affinity groups at KU Medical Center is to support and advance the DEI Cabinet's Framework and Strategic Initiatives:
- Cultivate diverse, equitable and inclusive environments in which to learn, work and serve.
- Attract, recruit, and retain diverse faculty, staff and learners who experience a sense of belonging and empowerment to grow while a member of the KU Medical Center community.
- Serve as a resource network and create opportunities for professional development for KU Medical Center's community members.
Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Ambassadors are current KU Medical Center learners representing the university to internal and external stakeholder groups. DEI Ambassadors serve a vital role in sharing diversity, equity and inclusion programming, and strategic initiatives by assisting with events, providing brief presentations on lived experiences, engaging with internal and external communities, and supporting campus recruitment and retention efforts.
Ambassadors must embody core values aligned with the Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, including belonging, civility, collaboration, cultural humility, discovery, empathy, empowerment, engagement, excellence, global consciousness, integrity, intentionality, mentorship, and respect. DEI Ambassadors must regard KU Medical Center’s valued community members and their diverse representation of cultures, experiences, expertise, and viewpoints.
List DEI Ambassadors 2023-2024
- Dwayne Watkins, SOM Medical Student
- Ghina Fares, SHP, Hearing and Speech Clinic, Graduate Teaching Assistant
- Itandewi Janner, SON, Nursing Student
- Jane Ibude, SHP, Dietetics and Nutrition, Research Assistant
- Kafayat Yusuf, SOM, Cancer Biology, Graduate Student
- Mustapha Mangdow, SHP Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science, Grad Assistant
- Nola Tran, SOM, Medical Student
- Sodiq Fakorede, SHP Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science, Grad Assistant
- Zoila Crocker, SON, Nurse Anesthesia PracticeDNAP
DEI Organizations or Committees
Want to start an organization/committee to support the KUMC DEI initiatives? Reach out to us to discuss opportunities at email@example.com.
Participate in Events and Programs
Explore our event calendar and make a plan to join us for an upcoming event. Learn about our ongoing programs, many of which also include recordings of guest speakers, panel presentations and educational events we've hosted recently.