Dana J. Hawkinson, MD
After completing Infectious Disease fellowship at the Univeristy of Kansas Medical Center in 2010 I became faculty, and have been at the University of Kansas Medical Center since. In addition to general infectious disease duties, either on the inpatient consult service or the outpatient clinics, I am the medical director for the Infection Control and Prevention (IPAC) program. This duty includes working with my IPAC team in collecting data and providing best practices guidance to reduce healthcare associated infecitons within our health system. I work in scientifiic and medical communication to provide information to our patients and the general public through the health system on various topics which are on the forefront and affecting our daily lives.
Education and Training
- BS, St. Ambrose Univ.
- MA, Microbiology, Univ. of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
- MD, Univ. of Kansas-Medical Ctr.
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Univeristy of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
- Clinical Fellowship, Infectious Disease, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- Physician, Kansas State Board of Healing Arts
- Physician, Missouri State Board of Registration for the Healing Arts
- Hawkinson, Dana., Joseph, Ison, M., G. 2016. Respiratory Viruses: Influenza, RSV, and Adenovirus in Kidney Transplantation.. Seminars in nephrology, 36 (5), 417-427
- Beaird, O., E, Freifeld, A, Ison, M., G, Lawrence, S., J, Theodoropoulos, N, Clark, N., M, Razonable, R., R, Alangaden, G, Miller, R, Smith, J, Young, J., A, Hawkinson, Dana., Joseph, Pursell, K, Kaul, D., R. 2016. Current practices for treatment of respiratory syncytial virus and other non-influenza respiratory viruses in high-risk patient populations: a survey of institutions in the Midwestern Respiratory Virus Collaborative.. Transplant infectious disease : an official journal of the Transplantation Society, 18 (2), 210-5
- Kosoy, O., I, Lambert, A., J, Hawkinson, Dana., Joseph, Pastula, D., M, Goldsmith, C., S, Hunt, D., C, Staples, J., E. 2015. Novel thogotovirus associated with febrile illness and death, United States, 2014.. Emerging infectious diseases, 21 (5), 760-4
- Hawkinson, Dana., Joseph, Abhyankar, Sunil., H, Aljitawi, O, Ganguly, Siddhartha, McGuirk, Joseph., P, Horvat, Rebecca., T. 2013. Delayed RSV diagnosis in a stem cell transplant population due to mutations that result in negative polymerase chain reaction.. Diagnostic microbiology and infectious disease, 75 (4), 426-30
- Horvat, Rebecca., T, El Atrouni, Wissam., Issam, Hammoud, Kassem., Assaad, Hawkinson, Dana., Joseph, Cowden, S. 2013. Reply to "Mistaken identity of Brucella infection".. Journal of clinical microbiology, 51 (6), 2012
- Borrego-Diaz, E, Mathew, R, Hawkinson, Dana., Joseph, Esfandyari, Tuba, Liu, Z, Lee, Phil, Farassati, F. 2012. Pro-oncogenic cell signaling machinery as a target for oncolytic viruses.. Current pharmaceutical biotechnology, 13 (9), 1742-9
- Horvat, Rebecca., T, El Atrouni, Wissam., Issam, Hammoud, Kassem., Assaad, Hawkinson, Dana., Joseph, Cowden, S. 2011. Ribosomal RNA sequence analysis of Brucella infection misidentified as Ochrobactrum anthropi infection.. Journal of clinical microbiology, 49 (3), 1165-8
- Fujita, M, Hawkinson, Dana., Joseph, King, K., V, Hall, D., H, Sakamoto, H, Buechner, M. 2003. The role of the ELAV homologue EXC-7 in the development of the Caenorhabditis elegans excretory canals.. Developmental biology, 256 (2), 290-301