Christopher M. Walker, M.D.
Christopher M. Walker, MD, is a professor of radiology, vice chair for faculty development and specializes in cardiopulmonary imaging. Dr. Walker analyzes and interprets chest radiographs, CT scans, and MRI scans for cardiac and thoracic diseases and has an expertise in lung cancer, cardiopulmonary infections, aortic disorders, interstitial lung disease, pulmonary embolism, and a multitude of cardiac disorders.
Dr. Walker completed his diagnostic radiology training at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington followed by a fellowship in cardiothoracic radiology at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts.
Dr. Walker dedicates himself to educating medical students, residents and fellows, performing numerous one-on-one teaching sessions and mentoring younger physicians. His devotion to education has been recognized several times, including receiving the Radiological Society of North America Honored Educator Award in 2013, the resident advocate of the year award in 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 as well as the teacher of the year award in 2013/2014, 2015/2016 and 2019/2020. He was also the recipient of several teaching awards during his residency training including the resident educator of the year award for medical student education, the resident/fellow award for outstanding educational leadership, and the resident peer educator of the year award.
Education and Training
- BS, Biology, University of Minnesota, Duluth, MN
- MD, M.D., Univ. of Minnesota-Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN
- Residency, Diagnostic Radiology, University of Washington , Seattle, WA
- Clinical Fellowship, Cardiothoracic radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- American Board of Radiology Certification, American Board of Radiology
- Kansas State Medical License, The Kansas State Board of Healing Arts
- Missouri State Medical License, State of Missouri Division of Professional Registration
- American College of Radiology, Member, 2018 - Present
- American Roentgen Ray Society, Member, 2008 - Present
- Radiological Society of North America, Member, 2008 - Present
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Member, 2006 - Present
Dr. Walker's research is clinically focused in the realm of cardiac and thoracic radiology and he strives to modify teaching and research methods to have the biggest impact for the largest number of radiologists. He has edited and authored 6 textbooks that focus on thoracic and cardiac imaging including the recently released 2nd edition of Müller’s Imaging of the Chest. In his career, he has authored over 100 book chapters and over 90 peer-reviewed articles and abstracts.
- Nambiar, A., M, Walker, Christopher., M, Sparks, J., A. 2021. Monitoring and management of fibrosing interstitial lung diseases: a narrative review for practicing clinicians.. Therapeutic advances in respiratory disease, 15, 17534666211039771
- Lee, G., M, Stowell, J., T, Pope, K, Carter, B., W, Walker, C., M. 2021. Lymphatic Pathways of the Thorax: Predictable Patterns of Spread.. AJR. American journal of roentgenology, 216 (3), 649-658
- Kunin, J., R, Blasco, L., F, Hamid, A, Fuss, C, Sauer, D, Walker, C., M. 2021. Thoracic Endemic Fungi in the United States: Importance of Patient Location.. Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc, 200071
- Kligerman, S., J, Kay, F., U, Raptis, C., A, Henry, T., S, Sechrist, J., W, Walker, C., M, Vargas, D., B, Filev, P., D, Chung, M., S, Digumarthy, S., R, Ropp, A., M, Mohammed, T., L, Pope, K., W, Marquis, K., M, Chung, J., H, Kanne, J., P. 2021. CT Findings and Patterns of E-Cigarette or Vaping Product Use-Associated Lung Injury: A Multicenter Cohort of 160 Cases.. Chest
- Chen, J, Wetzel, L., H, Pope, K., L, Meek, L., J, Rosamond, T, Walker, C., M. 2021. FFRCT: Current Status.. AJR. American journal of roentgenology, 216 (3), 640-648
- Bayter, P., A, Lee, G., M, Grage, R., A, Walker, C., M, Suster, D., I, Greene, R., E, Gilman, M., D, Lanuti, M, Stowell, J., T. 2021. Accessory and Incomplete Lung Fissures: Clinical and Histopathologic Implications.. Journal of thoracic imaging, 36 (4), 197-207
- Ackman, J., B, Chung, J., H, Walker, C., M, Bang, T., J, Carter, B., W, Hobbs, S., B, Kandathil, A, Lanuti, M, Madan, R, Moore, W., H, Shah, S., D, Verde, F, Kanne, J., P. 2021. ACR Appropriateness Criteria® Imaging of Mediastinal Masses.. Journal of the American College of Radiology : JACR, 18 (5S), S37-S51
- Stojanovska, J, Hurwitz Koweek, L., M, Chung, J., H, Ghoshhajra, B., B, Walker, C., M, Beache, G., M, Berry, M., F, Colletti, P., M, Davis, A., M, Hsu, J., Y, Khosa, F, Kicska, G., A, Kligerman, S., J, Litmanovich, D, Maroules, C., D, Meyersohn, N, Syed, M., A, Tong, B., C, Villines, T., C, Wann, S, Wolf, S., J, Kanne, J., P, Abbara, S. 2020. ACR Appropriateness Criteria® Blunt Chest Trauma-Suspected Cardiac Injury.. Journal of the American College of Radiology : JACR, 17 (11S), S380-S390
- Lee, G., M, Walker, C., M. 2020. Reply to "Pulmonary Sarcoidlike Granulomatosis".. AJR. American journal of roentgenology, 215 (2), W26
- Lee, G., M, Pope, K, Meek, L, Chung, J., H, Hobbs, S., B, Walker, C., M. 2020. Sarcoidosis: A Diagnosis of Exclusion.. AJR. American journal of roentgenology, 214 (1), 50-58