Rural Kansas Photography Contest Rules and Terms
Contest Date for 2021
Online entries can be uploaded starting Wednesday, September 1, 2021. Deadline for submitting entries is 11:59 p.m. CST on Monday, October 18, 2021. All submitted entries are referred to herein as "Photographs."
Photo Contest Rules
- All Photographs must be taken in the State of Kansas.
- Photographs may be taken at any time.
- Photographers must be at least 18 years of age to participate.
- Photos should be submitted electronically as high-quality .jpg/.jpeg files that are at least 8"x10" at 300 DPI, or 2400x3000 pixels at 72 DPI.
- An online entry form must accompany the Photograph submission/s. Only entries with complete and accurate information will be considered eligible.
- All Photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared. Photographs that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color, and contrast, etc.) will be disqualified.
- If a Photographer chooses to include people in her/his submission, s/he is responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted and must be able to provide copies of those releases to upon request.
- RHES prefers images without watermarks; however, if they are necessary, they should be small and discreet enough not to interfere with the judging of the Photograph.
- Photographers may enter up to three (3) Photographs in each category. Except for Best in Show, in which photographers may only enter one (1).
- Photographer retains all copyright privileges for any submitted Photograph. By submitting his/her Photograph(s) to the Photo Contest, Photographer grants to the University of Kansas including but not limited to RHES (the "University"), and the Kansas Board of Regents ("KBOR") a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free license to copy, reproduce or otherwise use the Photograph and derivative works therefrom for non-commercial publicity, educational, and scholarly purposes, and any other non-commercial purpose related to the mission of the University or KBOR, respectively, including specifically (but not limited to):
- Print and digital communications, websites, handouts, brochures, labels, postcards, magazines, journals, and newspapers related to the mission of University, or KBOR;
- Print and digital communications of finalists and winners for Kansas Country Living magazine.
- To transmit or otherwise communicate or display Photograph by means of any device, process, or medium (e.g., slides, film, television, electronic, or other formats).
- In its use in connection with this Photo Contest, University may use Photographer's name, city, state, and country of residence in promotions and other publications. University, through its RHES program, will keep the files provided, and archive the Photographs on CD or in other electronic forms, so that they can be properly credited. As a condition of this permission and license, University shall credit, and cause KBOR to credit, all Photographs with the caption "© [Photographer's Name]."
- University is not responsible for late, lost, damaged, or misdirected entries or for miscommunications, misdirected transmissions, or other errors of any kind whether human or electronic in the Photo Contest entry process.
- By entering, Photographers release and hold harmless the University and KBOR, as well as their directors and employees.
Judging, Voting, and Announcement of Winners
- Photographs will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact, and artistic merit.
- The judging panel will select five to seven Photographs in each of the regular categories to be finalists (all except Kansas Country Living). Finalists will be announced Monday, November 1, 2021.
- Guests who attend the National Rural Health Day celebration in either Kansas City or Wichita on Thursday, November 18, 2021 will have the opportunity to vote for the winning Photographs in person.
- Individuals who live or work in Kansas may request a link to vote. Requests must be made by Tuesday, November 16, 2021. One vote per individual. Request a link to vote by visiting http://bit.ly/ksphotovote.
- Winners will be officially announced Wednesday, December 1, 2021.
- Winning Photographs will be published in Kansas Connections online newsletter, displayed on the RHES website, posted to the RHES Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter sites, among other uses permitted under these Photo Contest rules subject to the Photographer's rights noted previously.
- The Kansas Country Living editorial staff will select a grand prize winner from all entries. Winner will be notified in December. Winning Photograph will be published on the cover of the January 2022 Kansas Country Living magazine. Other Contest Photograph(s) may also be published inside the magazine. All Photographers will be notified in advance of publishing.
Prizes and Categories for 2021
A first and second place winner will be awarded in each category. First place winners will receive $75. Second place winners will receive $35.
- Best in Show
- Show us the absolute best Kansas-themed image you've ever captured. One entry per photographer in this category.
- Sun, Wind, or Rain
- Use your imagination and enter a visual with one of these base words: Sun, Wind or Rain (e.g., sunflower, windmill, raincoat, sunglasses, wind chime, rainbow, sunset, window, rain clouds, sundial, windsock.
- Road Trip
- Interesting, entertaining, majestic, or quirky-Kansas is home to some fascinating sites. What kinds of places have you captured while on a road trip through Kansas?
- On the Move
- Everything from dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and ATVs to planes, boats, trains, and horses. Show us how you play fast in Kansas!
- Healthcare in Kansas
- What does a healthy Kansas mean to you? Show us by entering your representation of a healthy community, healthcare event, healthcare providers, healthcare facilities, etc.
- Wildlife and Critters
- This beloved category highlights the fuzzy, furry, creepy and crawly friends that call Kansas home.
- Kansas Country Living Grand Prize: The Kansas Country Living editorial team will choose from all of the entries a $100 grand-prize winning photograph that will be featured on the January 2022 cover of the magazine. All entered images will be considered for this award.
- We are excited to partner with Kansas Country Living magazine for the fourth year in a row. Kansas Country Living magazine carries out the mission of the state's 27 distribution electric cooperatives and three generation and transmission co-ops to help improve the quality of life of their consumer-members. The monthly magazine, with a circulation of approximately 132,000, reflects the lifestyles and cultures of rural, suburban, and small-town Kansas and covers topics that impact rural electrification and the rural way of life.