International Medical Education and Mission Award
Rural Health Education and Services (RHES) believes in the value of serving at home and abroad. The International Medical Education and Mission ("IMEM") Award supports international clinical education rotations and medical missions. Other educational or mission experiences will not be considered. (Is your project or initiative in the US? Check out our domestic Mission Award.)
IMEM Awards provide opportunities for resident physicians, fellows, and students who desire to study and serve internationally. Each award is $1,000.
Priority is given to students, resident physicians, and fellows who have a desire to pursue a practice in a rural or urban underserved area upon completion of their training.
*Locations in remote rural United States, where access to primary care is beyond a reasonable distance/time of travel, may be considered. Domestic mission locations cannot be associated with academic curriculum.
- United States Citizen
- Student, resident physician, or fellow in one of the following accredited programs in the United States:*
- Resident physician or fellow
- Allopathic or Osteopathic medical student
- Nursing student in a BSN, MSN, or DNP program
- Physician Assistant student
- Dental or dental hygienist students
- Master of Social Work (MSW) student
- or other clinical health care program
*University of Kansas Medical Center students, resident physicians, and fellows must secure approval for an international educational rotation by the Office of International Programs (OIP) prior to receiving this award.
Application Cycles: March 1 – April 15 and October 1 – November 15 Extended to November 30
Award winners ("Awardees") will be notified within 6 weeks after the close of each cycle. Awards in the amount of $1,000 each will be distributed approximately 6 weeks after the awardee has returned the required W-9 and acceptance letter.
The award may be considered taxable income. Please consult your tax professional for details about how this taxable income may affect you.
Responsibilities of Awardees
- Provide a signed W-9 to RHES upon acceptance of the award.
- Complete the international education or medical mission within the time periods set forth in the award application.
- Within 7 days, complete an emailed follow-up survey upon the completion of the international education or medical mission trip.
If awarded an IMEM Award, the Awardee understands and acknowledges that they will be considered in default if they do not complete the international education or medical mission on the dates identified herein. In the event Awardee is considered to be in default, they must repay the full amount of the IMEM Award to RHES within thirty (30) days of the date of such default.