International Medical Education and Mission Award
Rural Health Education and Services (RHES) believes in the value of serving at home and abroad. The International Medical Education and Mission ("IMEM") Award supports international clinical education rotations and medical missions. Other educational or mission experiences will not be considered. (Is your project or initiative in the US? Check out our domestic Mission Award.)
Six IMEM Awards are funded annually to provide opportunities for resident physicians or fellows, or students in medical, nurse, nurse practitioner, physician assistant programs who desire to study and serve internationally. Each award is $1,000.
Priority is given to students, residents or fellows who have a desire to pursue a practice in a rural or urban underserved area upon completion of their training.
Funding for this initiative is supported in part by the University of Kansas Auxiliary through their KU Auxiliary: Making a Difference grant.
- United States Citizen
- Student, resident, or fellow in one of the following accredited programs in the United States:*
- Resident physician or fellow
- Allopathic or Osteopathic medical student
- Nursing student in a BSN, MSN, or DNP program
- Physician Assistant student
- Dentist or Dental Hygienist student
- Masters of Social Work (MSW) student
*University of Kansas Medical Center students, residents or fellows must secure approval for an international educational rotation by the Office of International Programs (OIP) prior to receiving this award.
Application Cycles: Nov. 1, 2021 - Dec. 31, 2021
Award winners ("Awardees") will be notified within 2 weeks of the close of each cycle. Awards in the amount of $1,000 each will be distributed within 6 weeks of notification.
In order to receive the awarded funds, each Awardee must first complete a W-9 and return it to RHES as the award may be considered taxable income. Please consult your tax professional for details about how this taxable income may affect
Responsibilities of Awardees:
- Provide a signed W-9 to RHES upon acceptance of the award.
- Complete the international education or medical mission within the time periods set forth in the award application.
- Within 7 days, complete an emailed follow-up survey upon the completion of the international education or medical mission trip.
If awarded an IMEM Award, the Awardee understands and acknowledges that s/he will be considered in default if s/he does not complete the international education or medical mission on the dates identified herein. In the event Awardee is considered to be in default, s/he must repay the full amount of the IMEM Award to RHES within thirty (30) days of the date of such default.