Teacher Summer Externship
The Teacher Summer Externship is held on the campus of KU Medical Center in Kansas City, Kansas.
Teacher Summer Externship is returning July 25-28, 2022!
The KU Medical Center Area Health Education Center developed the Teacher Summer Externship to provide an opportunity for health career cluster teachers to obtain continuing education hours in accordance with the Kansas State Department of Education's approval process for implementation or continuation of the Health Science Career Pathway/Cluster curriculum.
The externship was piloted in 2009 with 3 teachers from the Kansas City Kansas School District. It was expanded in 2012, offering the externship during two separate weeks.
The goals of the Teacher Summer Externship are:
- To increase understanding of the academic preparation necessary for health professions programs
- To increase understanding of admission requirements and selection procedures for health professions programs
- To increase effective transmission of relevant information from industry to the secondary health science classroom
- To increase effective transmission of relevant information from post-secondary health professions programs to the secondary health science classroom
- To provide health science teachers contact with current students in health professions programs
- To enhance relationships with key stakeholders, including Kansas State Department of Education, KU Medical Center, the Area Health Education Centers and Kansas high schools
To meet the goals listed above, the Teacher Summer Externship includes:
- Participating in activities in the Nursing Clinical Learning Lab, Neis Skills Lab, the Respiratory Care Learning Lab, and the Orthopedic Research Lab
- Meeting with recruiters from the School of Medicine, the School of Nursing, the School of Health Professions and the School of Pharmacy
- Touring many areas of the The University of Kansas Health System, The University of Kansas Cancer Center, Hoglund Biomedical Imaging Center and Hemenway Life Sciences Innovation Center
- Meeting with a panel of current KU Medical Center students from the School of Nursing
Registration is limited to the first 15 applicants. There is no cost to attend the event. However, hotel accommodations and meals will be the responsibility of the participants. Teachers wishing to participate in the Teacher Summer Externship need to complete and sign the following documents. Once completed, please email to Seth Nutt.