Skip to main content


KEE Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of our most frequently asked questions.

Of course, this list is not exhaustive so if you have a question and it does not appear below please don't hesitate to contact us at

FAQ (illustration by

Click ( + ) to see answers.

Is it possible to extend my research educational experience beyond four months?

Yes. The Vice Chancellor for Community Engagement can approve extensions for up to one year with and sound justification. Contact us at for information on how to request an extension.

Is it possible to extend my clinical observational experience beyond 12 hours?

Not at this time. All clinical shadowing experiences have been limited to one single, 12-hour shift at the discretion of the sponsor.

What is a Varicella titer?

A Varicella titer is a blood test that will tell us if you are immune to the Varicella (Chicken Pox) virus.

Do I need to have a Varicella titer drawn if I’ve had Chicken Pox?

Yes. Having had the disease does not guarantee immunity.

Do I need to complete the KEE Program Application, including all of the documentation requirements, if I have already found a sponsor and coordinated my educational experience with them?

Yes. Your educational experience will not be approved if you don’t complete the application and submit the required paperwork.

If I have had a background check within the last 12 months do I need to accomplish a new one?

No. Simply send the results of the background check that was completed within the last 12 months to the visitor coordinator at

What are the immunization/TB screening requirements for a clinical observational (shadowing) experience?

  • You must be able to show proof of completion.
  • Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR): two doses of MMR vaccine after your first birthday or documented serologic proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella
  • Varicella: two doses of Varicella vaccine or documented serologic proof of immunity to the disease. Remember, a history of the disease is not sufficient proof of immunity.
  • Hepatitis B: threes doses of Hepatitis B vaccine
  • Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (TDAP): TDAP vaccination must be within 10 years of KEE participation
  • Influenza: an annual Influenza vaccination if the visitor will be on campus at any time between October 1 and May 1.
  • Tuberculosis:
    • TB skin test
    • TB blood test using either QuantiFeron-TB Gold (QFT-GIT) or T-Spot (TB blood tests are the preferred screening for people who have received the TB vaccine)
    • If health history of positive TB test or TB infection individual must provide the following:
    • History of disease or positive test history
    • Record of treatment
    • Chest x-ray with physician interpretation indicating no signs of tuberculosis infection within 1 year of KEE program start date.

Can I submit documentation of my immunizations and TB test instead of having my healthcare provider complete the form in the KEE Information Packet?

Yes. Please be sure that you send documentation that indicates immunity or accomplishment of the required vaccinations as well as TB screening.

How long do background checks take?

Validity Screening Solutions usually takes 24 to 48 hours to complete a background check.

Can I shadow in more than one unit/area?

Yes, with a separate application for each experience.

Can I participate in both a clinical observational (shadowing) experience and research experience at the same time?

Yes, but you will need to complete a separate online KEE application for each experience. Additional compliance paperwork will be required for research learners.

Where should I park while participating in the KEE program?

The KEE program does not provide parking for educational experiences. We recommend that you contact KUMC Parking Services or your sponsoring department with questions.

Do I need to get my ID badge before the first day of my shadowing or research experience?

We recommend that you contact your sponsor and ask if you will have time to pick up your badge on the first day of your educational experience. You can, however, pick up your badge prior to the beginning of your educational experience.

How long does it take to get a badge at the badge office?

It depends on how busy the office is. If the line is short, the office can produce your badge in a matter of minutes. The University badge office is open from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. Monday through Friday (closed 12-1 for lunch). The Health System Badge Office is open 7:00 am-5:30 p.m. M-Th and 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. on Friday.

Last modified: Jul 13, 2021