Photos and Videos
Photos and videos must represent the university in a positive, professional way.
Depending on your needs, Communications may have assets available for your project, or we may be able to help you connect with appropriate vendors. If you don't see what you need below, please reach out.
Please note we have moved our offices and studio to G023 Murphy Hall.
If your department needs photos for promotional or educational purposes, we recommend working with our Photo Services team. Our photographers provide professional-quality medical and scientific images, on-location shoots and studio headshots.
Portraits for Faculty & Staff
Photo Services takes professional portraits for faculty and staff twice a month on the 1st Tuesday & 3rd Wednesday. Please use our self-serve appointment calendar to schedule an appointment.
Photos are front and center on the kumc.edu website. Best practices suggest that action shots convey the most meaning and allow prospective students and other web audiences to imagine their experiences on campus. Our website features images that convey action and participation, such as classroom discussions, lab research, clinical education and so on. If you need new or different images for your website, here's what you should know:
- Communications has a growing catalog of images featuring campus buildings, research spaces, classrooms and other settings that may be appropriate for your new website. These images are free to use on your kumc.edu website. Reach out to Emily Miller, email@example.com, to review the options that will work best.
- We also have a variety of stock images available to use on your kumc.edu website for free. If your image needs are very distinct or specialized, new stock image purchases may be required.
- The KU Brand Center website offers several galleries of brand photography for members of the university community to download online.
- The Photo Services team is available to plan and complete a photo shoot to fill your website with fresh, new images. Complete the form to request services (login required).
Release form and policy
Under certain circumstances, photo releases must be obtained from the people who are pictured in a photo. Download the multimedia authorization and release form-English (PDF) or the multimedia authorization form-Spanish (PDF). Learn more about our Photo Policy (PDF).
- If you already have a video and need help adding it to the KU Medical Center YouTube channel, or creating your own YouTube channel, contact Emily Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org), associate director of digital communications.
- If you're interested in contracting a company to produce video, Communications can advise you on the required forms and approvals you may need. In some cases, communications can help manage your video production project or assist with reviewing drafts. Contact Natalie Lutz (email@example.com), director and chief communications officer, if you want guidance on your video.
- Releases must be obtained from the people who are featured in your video. Download the multimedia authorization and release form (PDF).
- The KU Medical Center signature should be used as a stand-alone screen near the opening or closing of university video projects. Download the jpg to add to your project. The signature should not spin, flip or break apart.
- The KU Brand Center website offers a standardized graphics package that includes options for lower thirds, logos and the KU watermark.