Charles W. Gibbs, M.D., M.F.A, F.A.C.O.G.
Clinical Associate Professor, Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Director, Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, SOM-Kansas City, Obstetrics and Gynecologycgibbs2@kumc.edu
Dr. Charles W. Gibbs is a Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. He is the Director of the Division of Maternal and Fetal Medicine / Advanced Maternal and Fetal Care at the University of Kansas Health System.
Dr. Gibbs received his medical degree from the University of Tennessee College of Medicine in Memphis, Tennessee. He trained in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Missouri, Kansas City program at Truman Medical Center and St. Luke's Hospital. He then returned to the University of Tennessee for Fellowship in Maternal-Fetal Medicine, with an emphasis in Critical Care Obstetrics.
Dr. Gibbs returned to Kansas City after Fellowship, and was part of the Clinical Faculty at the University of Missouri, Kansas City, practicing at St. Luke's Hospital for 8 years. In 2014, he joined the faculty of the University of Kansas Health System.
Dr. Gibbs is currently the Chair of the Kansas Section of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. He also serves as the Co-chair of the Kansas Maternal Mortality Review Committee. He has given lectures and seminars at both national and international meetings, the latest being the National Obstetrical and Gynecologic Clinical Symposium for Mexico in June of 2020.
Education and Training
- BM, Music Education, Carson-Newman College, Jefferson City, TN
- MFA, Music History and Theory, University of Texas, Arlington, TX
- Internship, Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Missouri, Kansas City / Truman Medical Center / St. Luke's Hospital Program, Kansas City, MO
- Residency, Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Missouri, Kansas City / Truman Medical Center / St. Luke's Hospital Program, Kansas City, MO
- Clinical Fellowship, Maternal-Fetal Medicine, University of Tennessee College of Medicine, Memphis, TN
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- Physican in Maternal and Fetal Medicine, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Physican in Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Physician and Surgeon, Kansas Board of Healing Arts
- Physician and Surgeon, Missouri Board of Registration for the Healing Arts
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Kansas Section, Chair, 2019 - Present
- Kansas Maternal Mortality Review Committee, Co-Chair, 2018 - Present
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Member, 2014 - 2019
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses, Associated Member, 2007 - Present
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Assoicate Member, 2004 - 2014
- American Medical Association, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Representative, 2003 - 2005
- American Medical Association, Member, 1999 - 2020
- Lee, Gene, Gibbs, Charles., W. 2019. The Utility of Lower Glycemic Targets For Treating Gestational Diabetes: A Retrospective Study. Journal of Diabetes Research, December 2019 (December 5, 2019), 1-6. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6915122/
- Gibbs, Charles, Orth, Theresa , Heitmann, Erica., E, Parrish, Marc. 2016. Traditional dressing compared with an external negative pressure system in preventing wound complications. . Journal of Surgery, 2 (3), 59-65. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5553538/