Charles B. Porter, MD
Dr. Charles Porter has been actively involved in heart failure and cardiac transplantation for over thirty years in Kansas City. He worked with Dr. William Reed to help launch the third heart transplant program in Missouri and the first in Kansas City in 1985. Dr. Porter subsequently received recognition as one of the first Medicare designated heart transplant cardiologists in Kansas City. Dr. Porter became one of the founding members of the Working Group of Transplant Cardiologists that developed the Transplant Cardiology Database, housed at the University of Alabama Birmingham, that provided clinical data supporting the publication of countless studies on the outcomes of cardiac transplant patients. He established membership in the International Society for Heart Transplantation in 1986 before it had expanded to its current form as the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation. He was a co-author of the research paper that introduced and validated the Kansas City Cardiomyopathy Questionnaire that has subsequently become one of the leading patient-centered quality of life surveys in the world. His continuous care for cardiac transplant patients in Kansas City since 1985 has allowed him to guide many heart transplant patients to decades of survival as his patients now approaching 30 years of survival after transplant.
Nearly a decade ago he began collaborative work with the cancer specialists at KU Hospital that helped allow cancer patients who were developing heart failure due to their cancer treatment to continue their cancer treatments rather than be forced to stop or interrupt their vital cancer chemotherapies. Since then this field has expanded rapidly and is widely recognized as a specialty area known as Cardio-oncology. Dr. Porter is the founding Medical Director of cardio-oncology at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
Education and Training
- BS, Bachelor of Science, Southern Methodist Univ.
- MD, Doctor of Medicine, Univ. of Kansas-Medical Ctr.
- Internship, Internal Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas
- Residency, Internal Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas
- Other, Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Texas Health Services Center, San Antonio, Texas
- America Heart Association, America Heart Association, Member, 2019 - Present
- JACC Cardiology Oncology - editorial board, Member, 2019 - Present
- Cardio-Oncology Journal, Reviewer, 2018 - Present
- International Cardio-Oncology Society, Research and Education Committee, Member, 2018 - Present
- International Cardio-Oncology Society, IC-OS Certifications credentials team, Ad-Hoc Member, 2018 - Present
- ACC, ACC Cardio-Oncology Patient Education Work Group, Member, 2016 - Present
- Cardio-Oncology, KU CV Medicine, Cardio-Oncology, Director, 2016 - Present
Dr. Porter was an investigator in clinical research that helped establish the role medications that have now become the mainstay components of therapy for heart failure, the beta blockers and the blockers of the angiotensin system that cause progression of heart failure. He was the principle investigator at the University of Kansas Hospital (TUKH) in the landmark COMPANION Trial of biventricular pacing defibrillators that helped establish these devices as another mainstay for recovery of cardiac function and prevention of sudden cardiac death in patients with heart failure and damaged cardiac electrical conduction.
Current Research and Grants
- COAPT, Abbott Vascular, Co-I
- CHAMP HF, Novartis, Co-I
- INVESTED, NIH, Co-I
- GALACTIC HF, Amgen, Co-I
- PIONEER HF, Novartis, Co-I
- Lenihan, Daniel, Carver, Joseph, Porter, Charles., B. , Liu, Jennifer., E., Dent, Susan, Thavendiranathan, Paaladinesh, Mitchell, Joshua., D. , Nohria, Anju, Fradley, Michael., G., Pusic, Iskra, Stockerl-Goldstein, Keith, Blaes, Anne, Lyon, Alexander., R., Ganatara, Sarju, Lopez-Fernandez, Teresa, O'Quinn, Rupal, Minotti, Giorgio, Szmit, Sebastian, Cardinale, Daniela, Alvarez-Cardona, Jose, Curigliano, Giuseppe, Neilan, Tomas., G., Herrmann, Joerg. 2020. Cardio-Oncology Care in the Era of the COVID-19 Pandemic: An International Cardio-Oncology Society(ISCOS) Statement. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 1-25. https://acsjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.3322/caac.21635
- Curigliano, G, Leniham, D, Fradley, M, Ganatra, S, Barac, A, Blaes, A, Herrmann, J, Porter, C, Lyon, A., R, Lancellotti, P, Patel, A, DeCara, J, Mitchell, J, Harrison, E, Moselehi, J, Witteles, R, Calabro, M., G, Orecchia, R, Azamubja, E., de, Zamorano, J., L, Krone, R, Iakobishvili, Z, Carver, J, Armenian, S, Ky, B, Cardinale, D, Cipolla, C., M, Dent, S, Jordan, K. 2020. Management of cardiac disease in cancer patients throughout oncological treatment: ESMO consenss recommendations. Annals of Oncology, 31 (2). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0923753419360806?via%3Dihub
- Okwuosa, Tochi, Morgans, Alicia, Rhee, June-Wha, Reding, Kerryn., W., Maliski, Sally, Plana, Juan-Carlos, Volgman, Annabelle., Santos, Moseley, Kendall., F., Porter, Charles., B., Ismail-Khan, Roohi. 2020. Impact of Hormonal Therapies for Treatment of Hormone-Dependent Cancers (Breast and Prostate) on the Cardiovascular System: Effects and Modifications. Circulation: Genomic and Precision Medicine
- Shah, Zubair, Porter, Charles. 2018. Heart Failure: What a non-heart failure specialist needs to know?, 125-156
- Lenihan, Daniel., J, Hartlage, Gregory, Decara, Jeannie, Blaes, Annie, Finet, Emanuel, Lyon, Alexander., R, Cornell, Robert., F, Moslehi, Javid, Oliveira, Guilherme., H, Murtagh, Gillian, Fisch, Michael, Zeevi, Gary, Jakobishviu, Azaz, Witteles, Ron, Patel, Aaarti., `, Harrison, Eric, Fradley, Michael, Curigliano, Giuseppe, Lenneman, Carrie., Geisberg, Magalhaes, Andreia, Krone, Ron, Porter, Charles , Parasher, Susmita, Dent, Susan, Douglas, Pamela, Carver, Joseph. 2016. Cardio-Oncology Training: A Proposal From the International Cardioncology Society and Canadian Cardiac Oncology Network for a New Multidisciplinary Specialty. J Cardiac Fail , 22:465–471. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1071916416300057?via%3Dihub
- Burnett, D, Kluding, P, Porter, C., B, Fabian, C, Klemp, J. 2013. Cardiorespiratory fitness in breast cancer survivors. SpringerPlus, 2:68
- Porter, C., B, Slosky, D. 2011. Interventional strategies to manage heart failure in patients with cancer, Jul;7(3): 395-402
- Whellan, D., J, Ousdigian, K., T, Al-Khatib, S., M, Pu, W, Sarkar, S, Porter, C., B, Pavri, B., B, O'Connor, C., M. 2010. Combined heart failure device diagnostics identify patients at higher risk of subsequent heart failure hospitalizations: results from PARTNERS HF (Program to Access and Review Trending Information and Evaluate Correlation to Symptoms in Patients With Heart Failure) study.. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 55 (17), 1803-10
- Parks, S., B, Kushner, J., D, Nauman, D, Burgess, D, Ludwigsen, S, Peterson, A, Li , D, Jakobs, P, Litt, M, Porter, C., B, Rahko, P., S, Hershberger, R., E. 2008. Lamin A/C mutation analysis in a cohort of 324 unrelated patients with idiopathic or familial dilated cardiomyopathy.. American heart journal, 156 (1), 161-9