Charlie Bengtson, M.D.
Dr. Bengtson is an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Division of Pulmonary Critical Care and Sleep Medicine. He completed his medical degree at the University of Kansas School of Medicine. He then completed his residency in Internal Medicine and fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
Dr. Bengtson's clinical interests includes caring for those with cystic fibrosis (CF) and lung transplant recipients. He is a member of the adult CF center care team at the University of Kansas Hospital.
Education and Training
- BS, Biochemistry, University of Kansas , Lawrence, KS
- MD, Medicine, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS
- Residency, Internal Medicine, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS
- Clinical Fellowship, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- Critical Care Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Medical license, Kansas Board of Healing Arts
- Pulmonary Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine
- University of Kansas Health System, COVID-19 Therapeutics Committee, Member, 2020 - Present
Dr. Bengtson is involved in clinical and translational research studies aimed at improving outcomes for those affected by cystic fibrosis. He is a member of the CF clinical research team conducting sponsored studies as part of the CF Therapeutics Development Network as well as investigator initiated studies. His research is sponsored by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences
Current Research and Grants
- Program for Adult Care Excellence, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, PI
- Latham, H.., E., Bengtson, C.., D., Satterwhite, L., Stites, M., Subramaniam, D.., P., Chen, G.., J., Simpson, S.., Q.. 2017. Stroke volume guided resuscitation in severe sepsis and septic shock improves outcomes. J Crit Care, 42, 42-46. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28672146
- Chung, S., Bengtson, C.., D., Kim, M.., D., Salathe, M.. 2020. CrossTalk opposing view: E-cigarettes expose users to adverse effects of vapours and the potential for nicotine addiction. J Physiol, 598 (15), 3053-3056. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32495948
- Chung, S., Bengtson, C.., D., Kim, M.., D., Salathe, M.. 2020. Rebuttal from Samuel Chung, Charles D. Bengtson, Michael D. Kim and Matthias Salathe. J Physiol, 598 (15), 3059-3060. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32495942
- Frey, J.., W., Bengtson, C.., D., Veeramachaneni, N.., K., Brownback, K.., R.. 2020. An Uncommon Cause of Bronchial Obstruction. Ann Am Thorac Soc, 17 (11), 1476-1479. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/33124907
- Bengtson, C.., D., Kim, M.., D., Anabtawi, A., He, J., Dennis, J.., S., Miller, S., Yoshida, M., Baumlin, N., Salathe, M.. 2021. Hyperglycaemia in cystic fibrosis adversely affects BK channel function critical for mucus clearance. Eur Respir J, 57 (1). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32732330
- Bengtson, Charles., D, Montgomery, Robert., N, Nazir, Usman, Satterwhite, Lewis, Kim, Michael., D, Bahr, Nathan., C, Castro, Mario, Baumlin, Nathalie, Salathe, Matthias . 2021. An open label trial to assess safety of losartan for treating worsening respiratory illness in COVID-19. Frontiers in Intensive Care and Anesthesiology