Chito A. Belchez, DNP, RN, NPD-BC
Chito Belchez is a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Kansas School of Nursing. He teaches courses in both undergraduate and graduate programs - traditional BSN, RN-BSN and the Community College Nursing Partnership program and in the Health Informatics graduate studies. He is certified in Nursing Professional Development and worked in nursing staff development as education specialist and clinical nurse educator.
Dr. Belchez holds a bachelor’s degree in philosophy from Seton Hall University. He received his bachelor's, master's, and doctorate degrees in nursing at the University of Kansas School of Nursing. He received his doctorate in Health Informatics from University of Kansas School of Nursing in 2019.
Dr. Belchez's scholarly works have focused on assessing how informatics competencies are integrated in the undergraduate nursing program. He teaches system leadership courses, quality improvement, health informatics, and curriculum development.
Education and Training
- BS, Philosophy, Seton Hall University, South Orange, NJ
- BSN, Nursing, University of Kansas School of Nursing, Kansas City, Kansas
- MSN, Healthcare Informatics, University of Kansas School of Nursing, Kansas City, Kansas
- DNP, Healthcare Informatics, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- Nursing Professional Development, American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Registered Nurse, Missouri State Board of Nursing
- Registred Nurse, Kansas State Board of Nursing
- Sigma Theta Tau International Delta Chapter, Award Chair, 2020 - Present
- Philippine Nurses Association of Greater Kansas City, Director, 2018 - 2020
- Philippine Nurses Association of Greater Kansas City, Planning Committee, Member, 2014 - 2016
- Philippine Nurses Association of Greater Kansas City, Chair, 2012 - 2014
- Association of Nursing Professional Development , Heart of America Affilitate, Member, 2006 - 2009
- Belchez, C, Johnstone-Moguet, P. 1992. Bikol newspaper reader
- Daack-Hirsch, S, Jackson, B, Belchez, C., A, Elder, B, Hurley, R, Kerr, P, Nissen, M., K. 2013. Integrating genetics and genomics into nursing curricula: you can do it too!. The Nursing clinics of North America, 48 (4), 661-9
- Fletcher, K, Kumm, S, Buchanan, L, Gay, J, Laverentz, D, Pierce, L, Tarnow, K, Meyer, M, Nelson-Brantley, H, Martin, D, Belchez, C, Johnson, R., H, Young, E, Barr, N, Godfrey, N, Phillips, C, Swartz, L, Klenke-Borgman, L. 2015. Concepts in the University of Kansas School of Nursing Bachelor of Science in Nursing program (6)
- 2022. Belchez, C. (2022). Informatics and Faculty Intraprofessional Assessment and Gap Analysis of Current Integration of Informatics Competencies in a Baccalaureate Nursing Program. Nursing Big Data Repository. https://bigdata.dreamhosters.com/