Brian Brost, MD FACOG FACS MAMSE
Dr. Brian Brost is the Vice Chair of Education and Innovation in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Kansas School of Medicine. He has a Bachelor of Science with Honors and Special Attainments in Chemistry from Davidson College. He received his Doctor of Medicine from the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill where he initially developed his passion for the care of the medically, surgically or genetically complex pregnant mom and her developing baby. After
Fellowship in Maternal Fetal Medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina, he completed his military service in the United States Air Force at Keesler Medical Center.
After separating from the military, he went to the Medical College of Ohio where he served as the Maternal Fetal Medicine Division Director and Associated Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellowship Director. In 2003, he went to Mayo Clinic to start the Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellowship program and was promoted from Associate Professor to Professor. His passion for education and training developed while helping to design of the Multidisciplinary Simulation Center (where he also served as the Operations Director). He led the Culture and Competency of Innovation Core for the Mayo Clinic Center for Innovation. In 2015, he was recruited to Wake Forest to serve as the Maternal Fetal Medicine Division and Fellowship Director.
While I love the clinical care of the complex obstetric patient, my career keeps drawing me to how we learn, particularly in the area of medical education. I enjoy simulation and curriculum development and developing new ways to enhance medical training. I have helped design simulation centers around the world and lecture about and develop task trainers for many medical and surgical disciplines for use in the United States and around the world, particularly for low-resource global settings.
He and his wife Caroline are extremely pleased to join the faculty at the University of Kansas in 2021. They have three children scattered around the world and two wonderful grandchildren who live in Kansas City. Outside of work, I enjoy reading, playing piano and basketball.
Education and Training
- BS, Chemistry, Davidson College, Davidson, NC
- MD, Medical Doctorate, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, Chapel , NC
- Kozakiewicz, M., L, Zhang, J, Leone-Kabler, S, Yamaleyeva, L., M, McDonald, A., G, Brost, B., C, Howlett, A., C. 2022. Differential Expression of CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor and Cannabinoid Receptor Interacting Protein 1a in Labor.. Cannabis Cannabinoid Res, 7 ((3)), 279-288
- Nitsche, J., F, Conrad, S, Hoopes, S, Carrel, M, Bebeau, K, Brost, B., C. 2021. Continued Validation of Ultrasound Guidance Targeting Tasks: Relationship with Procedure Performance.. Academic radiology, 28 (10), 1433-1442
- Tolcher, M., C, Hokenstad, A., N, Weaver, A., L, McGree, M., E, Rose, C., H, Famuyide, A., O, Brost, B., C. 2019. Clinical Impact of a Restrictive Labor Induction Approval Process.. Gynecologic and obstetric investigation, 84 (2), 166-173
- Nitsche, J., F, Knupp, R., J, Tooze, J., A, Sun, C., H, Jin, S, Brost, B., C. 2019. Using Simulation to Define the Learning Curve for the Digital Cervical Examination.. Obstetrics and gynecology, 134 Suppl 1, 1S-8S
- Nitsche, J., F, Goodridge, E, Kim, S., M, Wong, T, Brost, B., C. 2019. Evaluation of the Patterns of Learning in the Labor Cervical Examination.. Simulation in healthcare : journal of the Society for Simulation in Healthcare, 14 (6), 378-383
- Nitsche, J., F, Conrad, S, Hoopes, S, Carrel, M, Bebeau, K, Brost, B., C. 2019. Continued Validation of Ultrasound Guidance Targeting Tasks: Assessment of Internal Structure.. Academic radiology, 26 (4), 559-565
- Nitsche, J., F, Butler, T., R, Shew, A., W, Jin, S, Brost, B., C. 2018. Optimizing the amount of simulation training used to teach vaginal delivery skills to medical students.. International journal of gynaecology and obstetrics: the official organ of the International Federation of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, 140 (1), 123-127
- Nassr, A., A, Shazly, S., A, Trinidad, M., C, El-Nashar, S., A, Marroquin, A., M, Brost, B., C. 2018. Body fat index: A novel alternative to body mass index for prediction of gestational diabetes and hypertensive disorders in pregnancy.. European journal of obstetrics, gynecology, and reproductive biology, 228, 243-248
- Gardner, B, Kozakiewicz, M., L, Whitecar, P., W, Nitsche, J., F, Brost, B., C. 2018. Novel Approach to Reduction of an Incarcerated Uterus.. Obstetrics and gynecology, 132 (5), 1177-1179
- de Mooij MJM, Hodny, R., L, O'Neil, D., A, Gardner, M., R, Beaver, M, Brown, A., T, Barry, B., A, Ross, L., M, Jasik, A., J, Nesbitt, K., M, Sobolewski, S., M, Skinner, S., M, Chaudhry, R, Brost, B., C, Gostout, B., S, Harms, R., W. 2018. OB Nest: Reimagining Low-Risk Prenatal Care.. Mayo Clinic proceedings, 93 (4), 458-466