Ashley R. Simmons, M.D. FACC
Associate Professor, Cardiovascular Medicine
Director, Adelaide Ward Heart Health Center , Medical Director of Women's Heart Programsasimmons2@kumc.edu
Dr. Simmons was named medical director of The University of Kansas Hospital’s Adelaide C. Ward Women’s Heart Health Center when it opened in 2012.
She is board certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine and has a sub-certification in cardiovascular disease. She is certified by the Certification Board of Nuclear Cardiology and the American Society of Echocardiography. She is a registered physician in vascular interpretation, as certified by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography. Besides women’s heart disease, she is a noninvasive cardiologist with a clinical focus including consultative/diagnostic cardiology and heart failure.
Dr. Simmons completed her undergraduate work at the University of Kansas in Lawrence, where she received a bachelor of arts in biology. She attended Medical School at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska.
Dr. Simmons completed a residency in internal medicine at the University of Kansas Medical Center, where she later became an associate professor and hospitalist. She was selected for a fellowship in cardiovascular disease at the medical center and was the chief cardiology fellow.
Dr. Simmons is an active participant in her community, including in her position as a medical student mentor within Delp Society, one of seven academic societies in the University of Kansas School of Medicine. She has had leadership positions in a number of community, state and national associations, and previously served as chairperson of the Heart and Stroke Alliance of Kansas.
Education and Training
- MD, Doctor of Medicine , Creighton Univ., Omaha, Nebraska
- Clinical Fellowship, Cardiovascular Diseases , University of Kansas Medical Center , Kansas City, Kansas
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- American Society of Echocardiography
- Certification Board of Nuclear Cardiology, American Board of Nuclear Cardiology
- Kansas Board of Healing Arts
- American College of Echocardiography , Fellow, 2014 - Present
- American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Member, 2010 - Present
- American College of Physicians , Member, 2002 - Present