Amy M. Pichoff, M.D.
Dr. Amy Pichoff is an Associate Professor in the Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Kansas Health System. She serves as a full-time physician where her area of clinical interest is in liver transplantation and hepatobiliary surgery.
All of Dr. Pichoff’s medical training has been at the University of Kansas, including both medical school as well as her residency in Anesthesiology which she completed in 2007. She stayed on as faculty after graduation and considers herself not only a “lifer”, but one of the few K-State Wildcats who now identifies as a Jayhawk.
Dr. Pichoff has enjoyed the opportunity to be involved and lead in many areas during her career. Her interest in improving patient care and outcomes as well as her passion for mitigating burnout and fostering physician wellness have been the anchors of her career.
These interests led her to serve as the Director of Quality Improvement and Patient Safety within the Department of Anesthesiology as well as myriad University of Kansas Health System committees related to patient safety and quality improvement, including chairing the Blood Utilization Committee. She also served on the American Society of Anesthesiologists’ (ASA) Patient Safety and Education Committee as well as Blood Management Committee. Dr. Pichoff presented “Perioperative Anemia” at the 60th Annual Postgraduate Symposium on Anesthesiology, which was subsequently published in AudioDigest for national distribution.
Dr. Pichoff has been involved in many quality initiatives over her career, the most notable being the development of an emergency response team for patients requiring immediate surgery (ESTAT). She was first author on the manuscript describing the team’s development in the Annals of Surgery and presented this project at the national ASA annual meeting.
Dr. Pichoff is co-chair of the Wellness Committee for the Department of Anesthesiology and serves as a wellness small group leader within the department. She co-leads the Corporate Athlete curriculum for attending Anesthesiologists interested in wellness, resiliency, and performance improvement. Additionally, Dr. Pichoff had the honor of presenting “Aligning Values and Priorities” at an international Women Physician Wellness conference. Dr. Pichoff has published articles on “Emotional Intelligence” and “Sleep Deprivation”.
Education and Training
- BS, Nutritional Science, Kansas State University , Manhattan , KS
- MD, Medicine , University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS
- Residency, Family Medicine, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS
- Residency, Anesthesiology , University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- Anesthesiology, The American Board of Anesthesiology
- Medical License, Kansas Board of Healing Arts
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support, American Heart Association
- American Society of Anesthesiologists, ASA Committee on Patient Safety and Education , Member, 2014 - 2016
- Kansas City Society of Anesthesiologists , President, 2013 - Present
- American Society of Anesthesiologists, ASA Committee on Blood Management, Member, 2012 - 2014
- Kansas City Society of Anesthesiologists , President Elect, 2012 - 2013
- Kansas City Society of Anesthesiologists , Treasurer, 2011 - 2012
- Kansas City Society of Anesthesiologists , Secretary, 2010 - 2011
- International Liver Transplantation Society , Member, 2009 - Present