Angela K. Mayorga May, MD
Associate Professor, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Associate Professor, General, Geriatric & Hospital Medicine
Program Director of Psychiatry Residency Program, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Co-Director Internal Medicine/Psychiatry Residency Program, Co-Director, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciencesamayorga@kumc.edu
Angela K. Mayorga, M.D., joined the Psychiatry faculty at the University of Kansas Medical Center in 2007. She currently holds a joint appointment as Associate Professor of both Psychiatry and Internal Medicine at the Medical Center and also functions as Residency Director of the Psychiatry Residency Program and Co-Director of the Internal Medicine/Psychiatry Residency Program. Her principal duties are educating residents and practicing psychiatry in the outpatient clinic.
She received her M.D. degree from Creighton University in Omaha, Neb., in May 2001. She completed her residency training in the combined Internal Medicine/Psychiatry program at the University of Kansas in June 2006. During her third year of residency, Dr. Mayorga served as Chief Resident of Psychiatry. She was also honored with the Shawn Storm Memorial Award, presented to a graduating psychiatry resident who consistently demonstrates excellence in all aspects of patient-centered care. Following completion of her residency training, Dr. Mayorga was selected to serve a one-year term as one of four Chief Residents in Internal Medicine. During the same year, she also held a joint appointment in the Department of Psychiatry and continued to see patients in the outpatient setting.
Clinically, Dr. Mayorga treats patients with depression, bipolar mood disorder and anxiety. She has a certification in performing NeuroStar Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation.
Education and Training
- MD, Medicine, Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, NE
- BS, Biology, Southwestern College in Kansas, Winfield, Kansas
- BA, Chemistry, Southwestern College in Kansas, Winfield, Kansas
- Residency, Combined Internal Medicine/Psychiatry, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas city, Kansas
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Kansas Psychiatric Society, President, 2020 - Present
- American Psychiatric Association, Fellow, 2018 - Present
- Association of Medicine and Psychiatry, Member, 2018 - Present
- Kansas Psychiatric Society, President Elect, 2018 - 2020
- American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training, Region IV Representative, 2016 - 2019
- American Psychiatric Association, Member, 2016 - 2018
- Kansas Psychiatric Society, Member, 2016 - Present
Dr. Mayorga's research goals are mainly focused on resident education with her role as program director. Dr. Mayorga helps resident's complete quality improvement and patient safety projects. She also mentors residents' scholarly activities, which can include articles for publishing, posters presented at regional and national meetings or grand rounds presentations.
- Moeller, K., E, Shireman, T., I, Generali, J, Rigler, S, Mayorga, A. 2010. Pharmacy students' knowledge of black box warnings.. American journal of pharmaceutical education, 74 (1), 5
- Moeller, K., E, Rigler, S., K, Mayorga, A, Nazir, N, Shireman, T., I. 2011. Quality of monitoring for metabolic effects associated with second generation antipsychotics in patients with schizophrenia on public insurance.. Schizophrenia research, 126 (1-3), 117-23
- Akhtar, E, Ballew, A., T, Orr, W., N, Mayorga, A, Khan, T., W. 2019. The Prevalence of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms in Chronic Pain Patients in a Tertiary Care Setting: A Cross-Sectional Study.. Psychosomatics, 60 (3), 255-262