Anup Kumar Kasi , MD, MPH
Dr. Anup Kasi is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Kansas Medical Center. He has been designated as an Oncology Pioneer in Clinical Research and expertise in Pancreatic Cancer at the University of Kansas Cancer Center.
Dr. Kasi received his medical degree from Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, India. He received Master of Public Health degree at the University of Texas School of Public Health and completed this thesis project at MD Anderson Cancer Center. He then proceeded to complete a Internal Medicine residency, Hematology-Oncology and GI Medical Oncology fellowship at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
His clinical interests include Gastrointestinal Cancers, Pancreatic Carcinoma, Colorectal Carcinoma, Gastric Carcinoma, Liver Carcinoma, Anal Cancer, Esophageal Cancers, Neuroendocrine tumor. He actively participates in the GI tumor board.
Dr. Kasi is a member of the South West Oncology Group (SWOG) GI Committee, member of SWOG Early Therapeutics and Rare Disease Working Group and appointed to the National Pancreas Task Force of the NCI Gastrointestinal Steering Committee. He is a member of the Hoosier Cancer Research Network.
Dr. Kasi is a Co-Editor in Chief for Oncology Specialty of StatPearls, Academic eLearning Management System. He serves as the Internal Medicine Residency Sub-specialty Education Coordinator and Research Liaison. He is a member of Fellowship Milestone Evaluation Committee, Periodic Evaluation Committee, Hematology and Oncology Fellowship Program Evaluation Committee.
Education and Training
- MD, Medicine, Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Bengaluru, India
- MPH, Master of Public Health, University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX
- Residency, Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
- Other, Hematology Oncology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
- Other, GI Medical Oncology, University of Kansas Medical Center
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- American Board of Internal Medicine Hematology and Oncology
- American Board of Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Kansas Board of Healing Arts
- Association for Clinical Oncology , Member, 2020 - Present
- NCI Gastrointestinal Steering Committee (National Task Force), Member, 2020 - 2023
- Protocol Review and Monitoring Committee (Cancer Clinical Trial Review Committee), Member, 2019 - Present
- Pancreatic Cancer Research Team, Member, 2017 - Present
- Southwest Oncology Group , Member, 2016 - Present
- GI-Disease Working Group, Vice Chair, 2015 - Present
- American Society of Clinical Oncology, Member, 2012 - Present
Dr. Anup Kasi is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Kansas Medical Center. He has been designated as an Oncology Pioneer in Clinical Research and expertise in Pancreatic Cancer at the University of Kansas Cancer Center. He is a member of GI-Disease Working Group, Early Phase Disease Working Group and Protocol Review and Monitoring Committee (Cancer Clinical Trial Review Committee).
His research interests include clinical and translational research in Gastro-Intestinal Cancers and novel treatment strategies for Pancreatic and Colorectal cancers. Dr. Kasi is recipient of several grants including American Cancer Society - Institutional Research Grant, Frontiers-KUMC clinical pilot research award and is principle investigator of several ongoing clinical trials with targeted agents and immunotherapy. He leads the ASCO COVID registry at KUCC and co-leads CCC19 and NCI Covid registries at KUCC.
His long-term research goal is to delineate personalized treatment strategies for pancreatic cancer and colon cancers. His investigator initiated clinical trial protocol of exploring PARP inhibitor in pancreatic cancer was selected for the AACR ASCO Clinical methods in cancer research workshop in Vail CO This trial is now activated at KU Cancer Center and enrolling (NIRA-PANC trial NCT03553004). He was selected for the SWOG Young Investigator Training Course to further develop his concept of integrating PARP inhibitor in Pancreatic Cancer in the adjutant setting. This concept is now approved by NCI GI steering committee and is in the protocol development stage at SWOG andamp; ECOG. Dr. Kasi looks forward to serve as study co-chair and Co-PI of a pending CTEP-funded SWOG trial for patients with pancreatic cancer. Outside of SWOG, Dr. Kasi has served as PI of several therapeutic trials for GI cancers.
Current Research and Grants
- Niraparib in Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer After Previous Chemotherapy (NIRA-PANC): a Phase 2 Trial (NIRA-PANC), Tesaro, Inc , PI, PI
- Novel Biomarkers for Early Detection and Prognosis of Pancreatic Cancers in Liquid Biopsies by ultrasensitive Fluorescence Nanobiosensors, American Cancer Society grant (IRG-16-194-07), awarded to the University of Kansas Medical Center, PI, PI
- Study Evaluating Efficacy and Safety of FFX Versus Combination of CPI-613 With mFFX in Patients With Metastatic Adenocarcinoma of the Pancreas, Rafael Pharmaceuticals Inc. , PI, PI
- ASCO COVID Registry, American Society of Clinical Oncology, PI, PI
- A Phase 2, Open-Label, Randomized Study to Assess the Antitumor Activity and Safety of Zolbetuximab (IMAB362) in Combination With Nab-Paclitaxel and Gemcitabine (Nab-P + GEM) as First Line Treatment in Subjects With Claudin 18.2 (CLDN18.2) Positive, Metastatic Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma, Astellas Pharma Global Development, Inc. , PI, PI
- Evaluation of Efficacy and Safety of Neoadjuvant Treatment With Pamrevlumab in Combination With Chemotherapy (Gemcitabine and Nab-paclitaxel) in Locally Advanced Pancreatic Cancer, FibroGen, Inc., PI, PI
- Mohyuddin, Ghulam., Rehman, Aziz, Muhammad, Britt, Alec, Wade, Lee, Sun, Weijing, Baranda, Joaquina, Al-Rajabi, Raed, Saeed, Anwaar, Kasi, Anup. 2020. Similar response rates and survival with PARP inhibitors for patients with solid tumors harboring somatic versus Germline BRCA mutations: a Meta-analysis and systematic review. BMC Cancer, 20 (1). http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12885-020-06948-5
- Kasi, Anup, Paluri, Ravi, Young, Crystal, Posey, James., A. 2020. Second-Line Treatment For Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer. Clinical Advances in Hematology & Oncology, 18 (2). https://www.researchgate.net/publication/341611331_Second-line_treatment_for_metastatic_pancreatic_cancer
- Park, R, Philp, A, Nagji, A., S, Kasi, A. 2020. Pathologically Complete Response after Triple Therapy in Locally Advanced Esophageal Cancer in a Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia Patient. Case Reports in Oncology, 13 (1), 176-181. https://doi.org/10.1159/000505832 |
- Paluri, Ravi., Kumar, Jacob, Rojymon, Kasi, Anup. 2019. Recent advances in the systemic treatment of gastrointestinal malignancy. Indian Journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology, 40 (3), 336-340
- Kao, Chien-Ting, Aziz, Muhammad, Kasi, Anup. 2018. Pathological complete response in pancreatic adenocarcinoma with FOLFIRINOX. BMJ Case Rep. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30173133
- Dakhil, C, Wick, Jo, Kasi, A, Neupane, P. 2014. Extrapulmonary Small Cell Carcinoma – The University of Kansas experience and review of literature. Medical Oncology. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25151532
- Vittal, Anusha , Middinti, Akshay, Kasi, Anup. 2020. Review ofa Case of Coexisting KRAS and BRAF. Innovations in Medicine and Medical Research, 2, 978-993
- Patel, Sandip., P, Othus, Megan , Chae, Young Kwang, Giles, Francis., J, Hansel, Donna., E, Singh, Preet., Paul, Fontaine, Annette, Shah, Manisha., H, Kasi, Anup, Al Baghdadi, Tareq, Matrana, Marc, Gatalica, Zoran, Korn, W., Michael, Hayward, Jourdain, McLeod, Christine , Chen, Helen., X, Sharon, Elad, Mayerson, Edward, Ryan, Christopher., W, Plets, Melissa, Blanke, Charles., D, Kurzrock, Razelle. 2020. A Phase II Basket Trial of Dual Anti-CTLA-4 and Anti-PD-1 Blockade in Rare Tumors (DART SWOG 1609) in Patients with Non-Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors. Clinical Cancer Research. https://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/clincanres/early/2020/01/22/1078-0432.CCR-19-3356.full.pdf |
- Allen, Jessica, Mehta, Kathan, Anant, Shrikant, Dandawate, Prasad, Saeed, Anwaar, Kasi, Anup. 2020. Association of losartan use with outcomes in metastatic pancreatic cancer patients treated with chemotherapy. https://meetinglibrary.asco.org/record/186601/abstract