Anna Gorczyca, PhD
Dr. Anna M. Gorczyca is a Research Assistant Professor within the Division of Physical Activity and Weight Management in the Department of Internal Medicine. She Co-I on several grants within her Division focusing on the remote delivery of physical activity and weight management interventions.
Dr. Gorczyca received her PhD from Indiana University in Epidemiology and proceeded to complete a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Kansas Medical Center. Her research interests include investigating the impact of weight management and physical activity across the lifespan in underserved populations.
Education and Training
- BS, Exercise science, Adelphi University, Garden City, New York
- MS, Exercise physiology, Adelphi University, Garden City, New York
- PhD, Epidemiology, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, Weight management , University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas
Dr. Gorczyca's research focuses on the impact of physical activity and weight management for the prevention of chronic disease (cardiovascular disease, diabetes, dementia, etc.) in rural and other underserved populations. Secondarily, investigating the interplay of reproductive function on chronic disease risk and how that is influenced by physical activity and weight management in women across the lifespan.
Current Research and Grants
- Weight Management in Rural Health Clinics, NIDDK
- Individual and Family Based Approaches to Increase Physical Activity in Adolescents with IDD, NICHD
- A Dyadic Approach for a Remote Physical Activity Intervention in Adults with Alzheimer's Disease and their Caregivers, NIA
- The Promotion of Physical Activity for the Prevention of Alzheimer's Disease in Adults with Down Syndrome, NIA
- Weight management for adults with mobility related disabilities, NIDDK
- Gorczyca, A., M, Washburn, R., A, Ptomey, L, Mayo, M., S, Sullivan, D., K, Gibson, C., A, Lee, R, Stolte, S, Donnelly, J., E. 2018. Weight management in rural health clinics: The Midwest diet and exercise trial.. Contemporary clinical trials, 67, 37-46
- Ptomey, L., T, Vidoni, E., D, Montenegro-Montenegro, E, Thompson, M., A, Sherman, J., R, Gorczyca, A., M, Greene, J., L, Washburn, R., A, Donnelly, J., E. 2019. The Feasibility of Remotely Delivered Exercise Session in Adults With Alzheimer's Disease and Their Caregivers.. Journal of aging and physical activity, 27 (5), 670–677
- Gorczyca, A., M, Sjaarda, L., A, Mitchell, E., M, Perkins, N., J, Schliep, K., C, Wactawski-Wende, J, Mumford, S., L. 2016. Changes in macronutrient, micronutrient, and food group intakes throughout the menstrual cycle in healthy, premenopausal women.. European journal of nutrition, 55 (3), 1181-8
- Gorczyca, A., M, Eaton, C., B, LaMonte, M., J, Manson, J., E, Johnston, J., D, Bidulescu, A, Waring, M., E, Manini, T, Martin, L., W, Stefanick, M., L, He, K, Chomistek, A., K. 2017. Change in Physical Activity and Sitting Time After Myocardial Infarction and Mortality Among Postmenopausal Women in the Women's Health Initiative-Observational Study.. Journal of the American Heart Association, 6 (5)
- Washburn, R., A, Ptomey, L., T, Gorczyca, A., M, Smith, P., R, Mayo, M., S, Lee, R, Donnelly, J., E. 2020. Weight management for adults with mobility related disabilities: Rationale and design for an 18-month randomized trial.. Contemporary clinical trials, 96, 106098