Skip to main content.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is available to undergraduate students who have exceptional financial needs and do not already have a bachelor's degree.

Pell Grants are available to both full-time and non-full-time students. Unlike student loans, these grants do not need to be repaid.

If you meet the need requirements for a Federal Pell Grant, you can receive it for up to 12 full-time semesters or the equivalent (roughly six years). Once you have received the full-time equivalent of 12 semesters of the grant, you will lose eligibility for additional Pell Grants. Amounts can change yearly.

The amount you receive depends on your expected family contribution, the cost of attendance for your school and program, whether you are a full-time or part-time student and whether you plan to attend school for a full academic year or less.

For example, if you received a Pell Grant as a full-time student for the 2019-20 school year, that year's Pell Grants is calculated as 100%. If you received a Pell Grant as a half-time student for 2020-21, that year's Pell Grant is calculated as 50%. Equivalency is calculated by adding together the percentage of your Pell eligibility that you received each year to determine whether the total amount exceeds 600%.

For more information, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at 913-588-5170 or email

How do I apply?

You will need to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for a Pell Grant. Our school code is 001948. There is no deadline; you can apply at any time during the academic year.

Apply Now!

Student Financial Aid

University of Kansas Medical Center
Student Financial Aid Office
Mailstop 4005
3901 Rainbow Boulevard
Kansas City, Kan. 66160

Location: G035 Dykes Library
: 913-588-5170
Fax: 913-588-8841