Skip to main content.


The number of credit hours in which you enroll can affect your eligibility for federal student aid including loans and for a loan deferment. You usually must be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible.

Your enrollment status is based on the number of credit hours in which you are enrolled and is used to determine your eligibility for loans and other financial aid.

For Undergraduate Students

In most cases, minimum (half-time) enrollment for federal aid eligibility for undergraduates students is 3 credit hours for summer* and 6 credit hours for fall and spring.

*An additional application is required to receive summer financial aid.

For Graduate Students

The University of Kansas has definitions for the minimum half-time enrollment required for federal aid eligibility for graduate students. These definitions indicate how your enrollment status will be reported to the National Student Clearinghouse.

Additional Enrollment Information

In certain circumstances, we may be able to provide financial aid for courses you are taking at another institution. If you will be taking courses at a school outside of KU Medical Center and would like to receive financial aid for those courses, please contact the Student Financial Aid office to see how this can be set up.

Enrollment and tuition/fees information is maintained by the Office of the Registrar.

How does enrollment affect my financial aid?

We've created a one-page document about the impact of enrollment status can impact the level of aid different types of students can receive

Download it now (PDF)

Student Financial Aid

University of Kansas Medical Center
Student Financial Aid Office
Mailstop 4005
3901 Rainbow Boulevard
Kansas City, Kan. 66160

Location: G035 Dykes Library
: 913-588-5170
Fax: 913-588-8841