Residency for Tuition and Fee Purposes
KU Medical Center's resident tuition classification is determined by criteria found in Kansas statutes and regulations of the Kansas Board of Regents.
How Do We Determine Residency
Students who meet certain categories of criteria, including military-affiliated students and Haskell Indian Nations University (HINU) students and alumni, are eligible for tuition assessments equal to resident rates when authorized by the Kansas legislature and the Kansas Board of Regents. These privileges do not change a non-resident classification.
Students attending a class that is held 100% online are assessed tuition and fees at the Online rate. Additional information about tuition and fees for your chosen program can be found here.
Please note this does not change a non-resident classification.
- Residency for Fee Purposes Application Form (PDF)
- Residency for Fee Purposes Clarification Form (PDF) — Only complete and email this form if you have been requested to do so.
- Residency for Fee Purposes Appeal Form (PDF)
Beginning the 2023-24 academic year, the KUMC School of Health Professions will assess Missouri residents a tuition rate equivalent to Kansas in-state resident rates if they meet required qualifications. The MetroRate is available to students in the following programs:
- Bachelor of Science in Clinical Laboratory Science
- Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management
- Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Care
- Master of Science in Athletic Training
- Master of Science in Genetic Counseling (program to begin fall 2024)
Missouri residents of Bates, Buchanan, Cass, Clay, Clinton, Henry, Jackson, Johnson, Lafayette, Platte, or Ray counties for the past 12 consecutive months are eligible to apply. This information will be based on the address you provide at the time of application to your program. If you feel you are eligible for the MetroRate and it has not been applied to your account, please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- KUMC School of Health Professions students do not need to fill out a separate application to qualify for the MetroRate. If you feel you are eligible for the MetroRate and it has not been applied to your account, you may need to provide additional information to the Registrar’s Office.
- The MetroRate tuition only is applicable to the specified KUMC School of Health Professions programs.
- Courses taken through the KU-Lawrence or KU- Edwards campuses will not qualify for the School of Health Professions MetroRate.
- Students living in the 11 Missouri counties may, however, qualify for the separate KU-Edwards MetroKC tuition rate (application will be required through the Edwards campus).