Skip to main content.

Dual Enrolled Students

If your academic career requires enrollment at KU Medical Center and another institution, we can help you navigate the process of using your VA benefits at both.

Dual Enrollment Process

Are you taking part in a dual-degree program at KU Medical Center and another academic institution? Or are you taking classes at another university that count towards your degree progression at KU Medical Center? If yes, you have additional steps to take to ensure your tuition and fees are covered by your VA education benefits at both campuses.

In addition to registering as either a new student or a continuing student at KU Medical Center, you must complete the following steps (click each heading to view details):

Notify and inform the School Certifying Official (SCO) at both universities that you will be taking classes with both schools. Since your degree (or the higher of the two degrees you are seeking for Nursing Community College Partnership students) will be granted from the University of Kansas Medical Center, we will be considered your home school. At the other institution where you are taking classes, you will be considered a guest student for VA purposes. It is important to let the SCOs at both schools know of your status so they can certify your enrollment to the VA correctly every semester.

Submit to the KU Medical Center SCO a copy of your schedule at your other institution. As part of the certification process, your KU Medical Center SCO will need to verify with your academic department that the courses you are taking will count toward your KU Medical Center degree. After the SCO has this confirmation, the SCO will create what is called a "parent school letter." This is a letter from KU Medical Center to your other institution that verifies that the classes you are taking at the other institution will count toward your KU Medical Center degree and that we allow those courses to be certified as part of your degree plan. The KU Medical Center SCO will send this letter via email to the SCO at your other institution so your enrollment can be certified there as well.

Report any changes in your schedule to your KU Medical Center SCO. Whether your schedule changes at KU Medical Center or your other institution, it is important for us to be notified of your enrollment status. If your enrollment changes here, you will need to submit an updated Request for Certification of Military Benefits (PDF).

  • After the SCO certifies your enrollment to the VA, it is up to the VA to process this enrollment and remit payment for tuition and/or housing to you and/or the university. If you have questions about the status of your payment, you can contact the VA by either submitting a question through the VA website, which requires a login, or by calling the GI Bill hotline at 888-442-4551 (888-GI-Bill1). General information and announcements about benefits and processing can be found on the GI Bill Website.


All students who are receiving VA educational benefits are eligible to have a deferment placed on their student financial account for the semester they are using benefits. A deferment will delay the due date for your tuition and fees to the 15th day of the last month of the semester. This will ensure that you will receive your benefits and can apply them to your student financial account before your tuition and fees are due. Please consult with the SCO at your other institution to learn more about their deferment practices.


Tuition/Fees Due


December 15


May 15


August 15

In order for a deferment to be placed on your account, you must complete and submit the Request for Certification (PDF) every semester. The SCO will then certify your enrollment to the VA and place the deferment on your account. Please note that you are under no obligation to use your deferment and may pay your tuition and fees in full at any time. If you do not pay your tuition and fees by the deferred due date, you may incur late payment fees and holds that prevent future enrollment or requests of transcripts. If you feel you may have trouble paying your tuition and fees by the deferred due date, let us know. We are happy to help reach a solution before the due date.

Need Assistance?

We are always here to help you navigate your dual enrollment status and payment schedule. Contact the Registrar's Office at 913-588-7055 or

Registrar's Office

Registrar's Office
University of Kansas Medical Center
3901 Rainbow Boulevard
Mailstop 4005 
Kansas City, KS 66160