Skip to main content.

Continuing and Returning Students

Current and continuing military students must certify their enrollment with the Veteran's Affairs office every semester they wish to use their VA benefits.

VA Educational Benefits for Current and Continuing Students

Every semester that you want to use your VA benefits, you will need to submit your Request for Certification of Military Benefits Form . Please note that you must be enrolled in your courses before you can submit your Request for Certification. You will need to complete page 1 of the form and list all of your courses for the semester on page 2. Your academic advisor will then need to sign the form, as will you. We will accept forms submitted from the student or the academic advisor via email, fax or drop-off at our office, G035 Dykes Library.

  • If your schedule changes at any time during the semester — regardless of whether you add or drop classes — you will need to submit a new request form so that we may share this updated information with the VA.
  • After you submit your Request for Certification of Military Benefits and the School Certifying Official (SCO) confirms they have all the required information and submits your certification to the VA, it takes an average of four weeks to receive your tuition and/or housing payments. Submitting your Request for Certification by the beginning of each semester will help ensure timely payment of your benefits.
  • After the SCO certifies your enrollment to the VA, it is up to the VA to process this enrollment and remit payment for tuition and/or housing to you and/or the university. If you have questions about the status of your payment, you can contact the VA by either submitting a question through the VA website, which requires a login or by calling the GI Bill hotline at 888-442-4551 (888-GI-Bill1). General information and announcements about benefits and processing can be found on the GI Bill Website.


All students who are receiving VA educational benefits are eligible to have a deferment placed on their student financial account for the semester they are using benefits. A deferment will delay the due date for your tuition and fees to the 15th day of the last month of the semester. This will ensure that you will receive your benefits and can apply them to your student financial account before your tuition and fees are due. Please consult with the SCO at your other institution to learn more about their deferment practices.


Tuition/Fees Due


December 15


May 15


August 15

In order for a deferment to be placed on your account, you must complete and submit the Request for Certification of Military Benefits Form every semester. The SCO will then certify your enrollment to the VA and place the deferment on your account. Please note that you are under no obligation to use your deferment and may pay your tuition and fees in full at any time. If you do not pay your tuition and fees by the deferred due date, you may incur late payment fees and holds that prevent future enrollment or requests for transcripts. If you feel you may have trouble paying your tuition and fees by the deferred due date, let us know. We are happy to help reach a solution before the due date.

Need Assistance?

We are always here to help you navigate your military benefits and deferment requests. Contact the Registrar's Office at 913-588-7055 or

Registrar's Office

Registrar's Office
University of Kansas Medical Center
3901 Rainbow Boulevard
Mailstop 4005 
Kansas City, KS 66160