Visiting Medical Students
Visiting medical students may apply to any available elective at the KU School of Medicine and will be considered after KU medical students have been scheduled. Visiting Students are only accepted for the Fall term. Below are the rotation dates offered for the 2023-2024 academic year. These rotation dates cannot be changed.
Thank you for your interest in completing a rotation with us at the University of Kansas School of Medicine. Due to the overwhelming number of applications already received for the Fall 2023 term for visiting student rotations, we have formally closed our VSLO portal to new applications for the 23-24 AY and are working on processing the requests that we have received. At this time, we are no longer accepting new applications, and all students that have applied already via VSLO have been notified of the status of their applications. We now consider our spots available for outside students to be at capacity, so we will not be reviewing any new applications for the 23-24 academic year.
July – 7/3 – 7/29/23
August – 7/31 – 8/26/23
September – 8/28 – 9/23/23
October – 9/25 – 10/21/23
November – 10/23 – 11/18/23
December – 11/20 – 12/16/23
Away Rotation Recommendations
We anticipate following the recommendations outlined below:
- Away rotations will resume on June 5, 2023.
- Students may begin applying for in-person away rotations after March 15, 2023 for rotations starting on June 5, 2023, or later.
- The number of away rotations allowed is limited to one (four-week rotation) per student.
- Accepted students will be required to be fitted for an N-95 Mask in advance of their rotation. KUMC cannot provide mask fittings.
- Visiting students accepted for a rotation will be required to pay a nominal fee of approximately $110.00 once they receive a bill from Student Financial Accounting.
- Accepted visiting students will be required to have received two-doses of a COVID vaccine (mRNA or Johnson-Johnson) prior to their rotation at KUMC and provide documentation in the VSLO portal for verification. In anticipation of expected Fall 2023 term guidelines for COVID vaccination, we are now requiring visiting students to also have the booster vaccine prior to their rotation.
Visiting Medical Student Application Process
The KU School of Medicine Kansas City Campus utilizes the AAMC Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) to receive visiting M.D. and D.O. student applications.
VSLO Information to Share - Osteopathic Applicants Only
This year, KUMC opened the VSLO application process to four Osteopathic schools (Kansas City University; A.T. Still University Kirksville COOM; Des Moines University COOM; and Oklahoma State University COOM).
Due to the volume of applications and the processing time for each application submitted, it was decided to narrow our focus and include those DO schools closer to us regionally. Other Osteopathic Schools that use VLSO for the application system for the upcoming 2023-2024 AY year will be unable to apply.
Visiting students will be considered only after KU School of Medicine students have been scheduled. Eligible rotations and dates are listed in VSLO. Date ranges will be closed to new applications once capacity has been reached. We do not accept off-cycle dates for rotations. Applications will be accepted until June 30, 2023, and then VSLO will close to any new applicants.
Applicants should not reach out to departments directly, but refer any questions not addressed to the VSLO contact person listed.
A complete application must be received 30 days prior to the start of the rotation in order to be considered.
- Kansas City Campus Application Requirements and Process
- Kansas City Campus Acceptance Information
- Visiting International Student Information
The University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita may have different processes and dates.