Skip to main content.

J-1 Exchange Visitors

Citizens of a foreign country who participate in the visitor exchange program at KU Medical Center may be eligible for a special visa, the J-1.

What is the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program?

The U.S. State Department designed a program where citizens of another country can visit the U.S. for a limited time. Such an exchange fosters a mutual understanding of cultural and educational differences between countries. It also increases campus diversity and forges international connections.

These visitors need a visa and a sponsor to stay in the U.S. The University of Kansas Medical Center is designated as a sponsor of J-1 Exchange Visitors (EVs) in the categories of:

  • Professor
  • Research Scholar
  • Short-Term Research Scholar
  • Student
  • Student Intern

The Federal Register, 22 CFR Part 62, establishes the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program and outlines its various regulatory requirements and parameters. All EVs and sponsoring institutions must adhere to these regulatory requirements and parameters.

Sponsoring institutions have the authority to issue DS-2019 documents (Certificates of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status, J-Nonimmigrant), which allows participants or EVs to apply or change status to a J-1 nonimmigrant visa.

Contact Us

For any inquiries or questions related to the J-1 visa process, please contact:

Irina Aris
Assistant Director of Inbound Programs, RO, DSO
Phone: 913-588-1485

Academic and Student Affairs

University of Kansas Medical Center
Office of International Programs
1017, 1018 & 1019 Dykes
Academic Affairs
Mail Stop 3033
3901 Rainbow Boulevard
Kansas City, KS 66160