Skip to main content.

Conrad 30 J-1 Waiver Requests

Visiting international professionals (such as faculty, researchers or physicians) may need to apply through the State of Kansas Conrad 30 J-1 Waiver Program as part of the visa paperwork needed to come to KU Medical Center.

What is the State of Kansas Conrad 30 J-1 Waiver Program?

International exchange visitors who are subject to, but do not wish to comply with, the two-year home country residence requirement may apply for a waiver of that requirement under this program.

This waiver is commonly used to assist non-citizen physicians who are international medical graduates to obtain an H-1B or L-1 visa in exchange for a commitment to practice medicine in a location designated as a health professional shortage area (HPSA).

Please note the Conrad 30 Waiver Program's stipulations for recruitment to an HSPA includes:

Program information and requirements are available on the State of Kansas Department of Health and Environment's website.

What is the request process?

For KU Medical Center to petition for a Conrad 30 J-1 Waiver, the position must be approved by the Program Management Policy Council (PMPC) in Kansas City or an equivalent authority for other campus locations.

In addition, approval must be obtained from the university's signing authority for these positions. Currently, this person is Robert M. Klein, Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs. If the position is as a physician, approval also needs to be obtained from Steven Stites, Vice Chancellor for Clinical Affairs.

The Conrad 30 J-1 Waiver petition and accompanying initial H-1B petition must be filed by the university-approved attorney, who currently is Judy Bordeau from Bordeau Immigration Law.

To initiate the Conrad 30 request process, the sponsoring department should do the following:

  1. Obtain approval from PMPC or equivalent authority if the position is not in Kansas City.
  2. Obtain a recommendation from Dr. Klein and also from Dr. Stites, if needed.
  3. Complete the request form.
  4. The Office of International Programs will forward the request to Dr. Klein for review and final decision.

What if the petition requires a university signature?

Petitions that require a university signature must be filed by a university-approved attorney. Please contact:

Judy Bordeau, Managing Attorney

Bordeau Immigration Law, LLC

mobile phone: 913-432-9994


For any questions or more information, please contact Kimberly Connelly ( and Irina Aris (

Academic and Student Affairs

University of Kansas Medical Center
Office of International Programs
1017, 1018 & 1019 Dykes
Academic Affairs
Mail Stop 3033
3901 Rainbow Boulevard
Kansas City, KS 66160