Medical Referral for Exercise
Our medical referral program is designed to help patients incorporate physical activity as part of a healthy lifestyle to promote health improvement.
Exercise is Medicine
We have six program options available:
- Weight Management
- Student Weight Management
- Chronic Pain
- Brain Health
- Stroke Wellness
- General Wellness
With all of our programs, each patient receives:
- A pre-activity screening and assessment
- Lifestyle and nutritional health coaching
- A physician report at the end of each program
- 1-on-1 or guided group exercise
What's the Plan?
Patients are eligible for membership to Kirmayer Fitness Center, which includes access to a 50,000 sq. foot facility with cardio and strength training areas, a salt-water pool, indoor track, basketball court, fitness studio, racquetball, and squash courts.
- Membership begins with a 1-on-1 private consultation with our certified fitness professional.
- The fitness professional will work with the patient to determine current fitness level, movement efficiency, and general preferences.
- A plan will be established to help the patient navigate the best course of action to meet their unique goals.
- Patients will be encouraged to participate in a 4- or 8-week Exercise is Medicine program, 1-1 training, or guided group training.
- Patients may also choose a basic membership if preferred.
Why it Works
Our plan is multidimensional. We incorporate physical activity, behavior change, and basic nutrition to help patients develop long-term, healthy lifestyle habits. We work with a variety of health care providers to ensure that each patient's program is individualized to meet their unique needs. Patients are referred for the management of chronic and acute disease, as well as general wellness. Ask your physician if exercise is right for you!
In order to participate in our exercise programs, patients must have a medical referral form completed by a KU Medical Center physician.
Complete this Physician Referral Form (PDF) and take the form to your next doctor appointment.