Glendon G. Cox Leadership Award
The Glendon G. Cox Leadership Award honors a member of our academic medical community and recognizes contributions made at a consistently high level over a span of many years.
"Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right thing."- Peter Drucker
What is a Leader?
- A leader puts aside personality differences in order to accomplish institutional goals and does not make decisions based on personal pride or ego.
- A leader takes calculated risks based on the best information available but does not take risks that threaten the survival of the institution.
- A good leader keeps communication lines open so ideas can be discussed and plans made.
- A leader is able to rise above the fray to see the entire campaign, envisioning the future and thinking years ahead.
- A leader is a visionary who can see beyond the needs of today and to inspire change which will enable the institution to be prepared for the future. Without vision and foresight into ideas for the future and before others even realize any need exists is the difference between one who leads and a great leader.
- Leadership inspires others to go beyond what they thought they could do.
History of Award
The award is faculty-initiated and recognizes our colleagues who have shown sustained leadership and excellence in their service to the University of Kansas schools of Health Professions, Medicine and Nursing, and the medical center.
For the purpose of this award, leadership and excellence can be in any area of academic life, including innovations that radically improve or transform clinical outcomes, educational processes, health care policy and economic development, government and media relations, or advocacy and representation on behalf of patients, peers or our health care organization.
Award Criteria and Eligibility
Eligible persons are those members of our faculty who have demonstrated the traits that are so admired in Dr. Glendon G. Cox, recipient of the first leadership and excellence award in 2008. The continuation of this award will honor deserving current and future campus leaders. The $1,500 cash prize underscores the importance of leadership within the health science community.
- The recipient shall be an individual whose achievements at the University of Kansas Medical Center campuses have provided leadership in the education of patient care professionals, health care delivery, and/or service in the schools of Health Professions, Medicine or Nursing, the hospital and/or other health care settings.
- In selecting the recipient, primary consideration shall be given to individuals who have displayed outstanding contributions, such as the following:
- advanced education that crosses school boundaries
- improved welfare of patients at The University of Kansas Health System hospitals and ambulatory clinics
- improved health care delivery practices and structure
- unified the KU Medical Center organization
- built strong local, state and regional community relationships
- positively changed the culture of the KU Medical Center organization
- Previous winners of the Glendon G. Cox Leadership Award are not eligible to win a second time.
Nomination Process and Timeline
The selection committee will be comprised of three members and a non-voting chairperson, selected by the Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs, from within the KU Medical Center system. The system includes the three schools, the three campuses and The University of Kansas Hospital. Service on the committee would be for one year.
- Brief statement of recommendation for the candidate submitted via email. Send all nominations to Jenny Laffey, Director of Faculty Affairs
- Nominations are accepted on an ongoing basis throughout the year.
- If no nominations are submitted, the committee will select and determine a recipient.
- Direct all questions to Robert M. Klein, Ph.D., Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs.
- 2018 - Cynthia Teel, Ph.D., RN, FAAN and Belinda Vail, M.D.
- 2017 - Roy Jensen, M.D.
- 2016 - William Cathcart-Rake, M.D., FACP and Pam Shaw, M.D.
- 2015 - Paige Geiger, Ph.D.
- 2013 - Steven Stites, M.D.
- 2012 - Karen L. Miller, Ph.D.,RN, FAAN
- 2011 - Kirk Benson, M.D.
- 2010 - George Varghese, M.D.
- 2009 - Gary C. Doolittle, M.D.
- 2008 - Glendon G. Cox, M.D., MBA, MHSA
The University of Kansas Medical Center would like to acknowledge and thank Prestwood Financial Group and Voya Financial for the support they provide for this award. Professionals with the Prestwood Financial Group learn who the recipient is each year during the presentation ceremony and are not involved in the selection of the winner.