Before you get started with the Writing Center, you may have questions. We have answers! Explore our frequently asked questions and reach out for more information.
Who is eligible for Writing Center help?
All enrolled students (undergraduate and graduate), as well as residents, are eligible for assistance at no cost. KU Medical Center staff and The University of Kansas Health System staff are eligible for a nominal fee.
What can I expect in an appointment?
- Our tutors will first ask what you want to work on.
- If you already have specific goals for your consultation, please let them know!
- We will ask you to discuss your assignment and/or topic.
- We ask you to read your paper aloud. In doing so, not only do you hear the flow and organization of your writing, but you also catch errors you may not have seen before.
- We help you find both strengths and weaknesses in your paper.
- We suggest ways to revise: organize ideas, develop a focus, enhance academic language, and so on.
What should I bring to my appointment?
- The written assignment from your professor.
- Your draft, outline, and/or notes.
- Sources for your project.
If I haven't written my paper yet, can I still see someone to talk about it?
Absolutely! Our help begins well before you write your paper as we can also help with brainstorming and outlining.
Do you format in AMA, APA or other styles?
No, we don't. However, we do have up-to-date manuals to help you figure out formatting. We can also help you use the manual in your discipline to answer difficult questions about formatting.
Is there help for improving my study skills?
Yes, we have educational specialists available to offer assistance and training.
What if I need more writing help?
- You can arrange regular appointments over several weeks.
- You can contact us and we'll put you in touch with an editor/proofreader who, for a fee, will correct your draft.
Does the Writing Center do walk-ins?
- No. To avoid scheduling conflicts and to ensure every writer receives adequate consultation time, we ask all appointments to be booked through our scheduling system. See the appointments and services page for scheduling and canceling instructions.
What services are offered to faculty and staff?
- While the Writing Center offers individual writing assistance only to enrolled students, we are very happy to help faculty and staff by providing workshops, presentations, or consultations on writing-related topics. In the past, the Writing Specialist has collaborated with faculty hoping to improve their students’ writing by offering guest lectures and working with their students on specific assignments. Please contact the writing specialist, Dr. Lisa Brune (email@example.com), if you are seeking such services.”